Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
a stand in h/v suggested (when LO was about 3 wks old :eek:) a routine of bath, change to pyjamas ^idiot^ (we have baby grows and vests.... ???) and then we all go to bed in early evening (no TV and dimmed lights.) She said this is to get her used to day and night.

My dp's chin hit the floor when I suggested that and needless to say haven't complied as I like to watch a few TV progs in the evening too... (teeny weeny bit of me time) and the odd glass of wine :p

our sort of routine is...
she'll have a feed between 7-9pm in the bedroom, dimmed lights no music/tv and then sleep for a good 3-4 hours .. we put her in her crib (after she falls asleep whilst b/f) and then feed again in the bedroom with lights dimmed usually between 10pm -1am mostly she won't sleep unless in our arms. (although she did settle herself last night - on the last evening feed.)

She's only 5.5wks and We really don't want her to cry as she goes into a scream (bright red- and gasping for breath) within a couple of minutes and we simply couldn't bare it. (think this may of happened to her during SCBU - where I wasn't there to care for her :( ) so that's a no no. Also on the news not so long back the advised against bathing the baby every night, saying it takes away essential skin oils. ^idiot^

would like to hear what you do/did with your LO, thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi there

sounds to me like what you're doing is just fine for a 5.5 wk old.  that is crazy to suggest you all going to bed!!  from about 5 weeks we started to establish a bedtime routine to get our ds used to the night/day thing.  we would dim lights, play lullabies cd, give him a bath 2/3 times a week (on other days just a wash using top and tail bowl) and give him a breast feed.  we had problems with him going down to sleep (he used to cry alot) but at about 8 weeks we decided that we would see what happened if we left him for just a short time, rather than rushing in to him right away.  we were lucky in that he really didn't cry that much and soon settled himself, much to our surprise (there is NO WAY this would have happened at 5.5 weeks!)!  and after 3 nights was going to sleep really well so that we could have the evening to ourselves.  he would then wake twice in the night for a bf until about 14 weeks when this went down to once a night and he first slept through at 16 weeks and has done ever since.  i think at your lo's age you don't need to worry too much about routine and also the crying when being put down, i think that's just what little babies do.  it is amazing how things just seem to come together gradually and at babies own pace.  with our ds we have certainly helped him along the way a little bit with getting him into a good routine, but much of it has come from him, a natural progression of getting a bit older.  for the first 4 weeks of george's life he literally would not be put down at all without yelling the place down and we ended up cuddling him almost all the time, just doing shifts between me and my dh!  but gradually things start to fall into place.  i think don't push it too much and don't worry, sounds like you're doing great! 

caroline

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Alisha, Just do what feel right for you. One persons routine wont work for someone else, but it is good to get an idea of what people do so if you wanted to change a few things you know where to start  :)

Ours is and has been since L was 9 weeks, and he had set feed times as beofre that he was all over the place and i didnt feel i could get a routine going when i wasnt sure when he wanted feeding next, come 9 weeks old i did get stricter with him regarding feeds as i did want to get a bedtime routine going (long story regarding my niece and didnt want to be in the same boat  ;D )

Basically 6.30pm L has a bath (every other day as he has very dry skin) then we sit in the front room and he has his bottle, we give him 3oz then he has bum changed and is put into his babygro, he then has another 2oz then we move to the bedroom which is dark where he has the rest of the bottle lying down in his cot.

By this stage he is usually falling asleep on you so when he lies down he wants more milk  ^idiot^  ;D and polishes off the bottle.

One piece of advice everyone has told me since having L is take whatever the hv says with a pinch of salt  ;D as what works for one baby wont work for another and i have found this out myself. This routine works for us, he has a dream feed now at 11pm and sleeps through till 6.30am most mornings.

At 5.5 weeks she is still finding her feet, start doing the same thing every night, and she will soon learn that whats happening mean sits her bedtime.

Try not to worry you are doing great

Nikki xx

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I started a bedtime routine for C when he was about 3wks old but this was more for me and DH than C!! Neither of us have any sort of routine for ourselves so had to get used to it ourselves!!  ;D ;D

We do:
Bath at 6pm or thereabouts. (C now knows when his bath is due and he will now cry for it!!)
Back downstairs for milk and a cuddle with daddy
Up to bed at about 7pm when C is drowsy. We then sit and hold his hand til he falls asleep.
Also, daddy does bedtimes every night except saturday (footy  ::) ) as this is the only time DH gets to spent time with C.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for replying and sharing your routines with me  :) ... you're all right in the fact that the routine works out for itself.. and on the days that I've let the timing slip.. so has her ability to settle herself.
but she settles herself so well .. no tears or crying and it takes her about half hour and I listen closely on the monitor and go up if necessary but she's so good. mind you she clings like a limpet in the day and I can't put her down for a snooze unless I can sneek her down without her finding out  ;D

thanks again  :-*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts