Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning ladies hope you're all keeping well & the  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ is flowing :)

I'm due to have my first round of ICSI at the beginning of June so will prob start down regging within the next few weeks.
At my last appointment the consultant said we will get the choice of how we want the treatment to go. Because we are having IVF on the NHS & we only get the 1 round she said we can either have 2 fresh embies put back & that will be our cycle over. Or we can have just the one put back & if it doesn't attach we can have 2 frosties put back the second time & then our cycle will be over.

What would or did you choose? I'm really confused because I have read that frosties have a lower success rate than fresh embies but if we did the 1 fresh embie and the 2 frosties we effectively get 3 chances rather than 2.

Confused.com! lol xx

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Stacey,
I would say that at your age, and considering you are doing ivf for Male Factor, then there must be a much higher than normal chance that you will end up with twins if you put 2 back. Having been pregnant with twins myself (from putting 2 back on a frozen cycle), and having experienced all the problems that come with it, I know that I will never put two back again! I deeply regret having done so, as I ended up miscarrying. The miscarriage rate with twins is Much higher than with a singleton. It turned out that one baby dying changed the environment in my womb, and this killed the other.
My experience means that I know that for future cycles I will only ever put one back at a time. even on a frozen cycle.

(I am actually a bit surprised that you are being offered 2 at your age what with it being your first ivf and with you being 100% ok. My clinic is always trying to push for single elective transfer, even in older ladies. In fact they changed their prices and put their money where their mouth is so to speak -  if you choose a single transfer, then the subsequent frozen cycle is only a few hundered pounds (instead of 1,000).

It is my view that freezing techniques have got So much better over the past few years, that success rates are now very similar.
If I were you I would one back each time and negociate 2 frozen cycles with eSET(elective single embtyo transfer) It won't cost them much more - in fact the cost benefit to the nhs compared to having to 'treat' you for a twin pregnancy and all it entails must be better in the long run!
This way you could have a family of 3 at a timing that suits you!

all the best with your decision,

elcf

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts ladies.
elcfoxy - thank you for your honest and informative answer. It's nice to have someone to tell it like it is as you hear the word 'twins' & think it will all be exciting, getting two at once will be like a dream come true & you never really take into consideration the risks. The consultant did say she would suggest just the one embie put back but I could have two if I wanted.

I was just worried that if I only had the one & it wasn't successful & then all my frosties didn't survive the thaw I would have halved my chances. It's such a hard decision & I guess it's one of those things that you never know if you've done the right thing until you do it!

Thank you though Ladies, Much appreciated! xx

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
w1nsome thank you for your advice :)

I just read my post back & don't think I explained myself very well sorry! :(

When I said about halving my chances I didn't mean that having 2 embies put back would double the odds. I'm having my tx on NHS & only get the one funded cycle. We wouldn't be able to afford to do it again after so it's our only go. I was told I will either get 2 fresh embies & thats my whole cycle over or 1 fresh embie and if it's unsuccessful then I have the option of 2 fet after then that is my whole cycle done. So what I meant was if I have the 1 fresh embie & it doesn't stick then try for the fets if they die in the thawing process I wouldn't have any others to transfer so I'm effectively losing out on a chance - I'm still not sure that makes any sense lol

I'm losing the plot even before starting dr & stimms!

I think I will prob take my chances & opt for eset first with the option of 2 fet at a later date, although I'm sure I'll to & fro between now and et :)
xx

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
x-stacey-x

I found myself in the same predicament when I had my ICSI, one or two.  Nothing was found to be wrong with myself or my DH, however never finding myself pg at all when ttc, I went for my best chance with two embies.  But that was a last minute decision as we went in thinking one was good for us as DH was freaked out about twins. 

However, only one of my embies stayed put and Harry was the result.  For sometime I was down about what happened to the other embie, what I did wrong etc.  However, I have to think that it was just one of those things that happened to make Harry part of my life.

If you really can only afford to have the best the NHS can offer you (as in not going back privately for your frosties) then you must do whatever you are prepared for.

Have you looked into the costs of FET, as I understood that FET was not as costly as full cycle of tx.  And there might even be the possibility of you have FET without drugs if you are 100%.

Please discuss it more with your cons for advice, and you really do have until ET to make up your mind.  I did, my legs were actually already in the stirrups!!! 

Good luck  ^hugme^

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Emmib

It's tricky isn't it! Our PCT will let us go back & give our frosties a go on NHS as long as we've only had the 1 transferred to start with but I'm just concerned that they won't survive the thaw & that I'll regret not having 2 fresh embies straight away. DH is freaked out by the idea of twins I must admit but I think I'd rather risk having twins than losing 2 frosties. But then the frosties could be strong enough & survive!! Oh god I'm talking myself round again! lol xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.