Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, i'm 42, blocked tubes,dh low sperm count. well i was on gonal-f 450 and the rest of my drugs were all highest dosage they say because of my age.I had 5 follies and 3 eggs were collected on the 17/4/08 and got 2 embies. ET today 19/4/08. when we got there they told us the embies are looking good and of a higher quality,one was 2 cells and the other was 3 cells,by the time i was waiting drinking water to get the bladder full and at the time for tranfer they became 4 cells each and they were graded as grade 2. I honestly dont know the meaning of the grades. test date is 3/5/08, ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^. can anyone tell me the meaning of the grades is it that it has a good chanc of pregnancy or implantation. Wishing everyone the best of luck. ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^and ^goodluck^ ^goodluck^ ^goodluck^ ^goodluck^ ^goodluck^ ^goodluck^

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Congratulations on getting 2 good grade embies on board and now you're PUPO (Pregnant Until Proven Otherwise)

I wouldn't get too hung up with the grades and also different clinics do grade slightly differently, some use grade 1 as top, others use reverse with grade 4 being top.....ours use grade 1 being top....and ours do slightly different grading for blastocysts so you would need to check with yours as to how they grade.

If you use the search facility you'll see that your question re grading has been asked quite alot of times...using search tool is a really good first port of call for any queries as you'll often find your queries and concerns have already been asked and answered :)

Here's some info from one of my replies...

♥ Minxy ♥ said:
"Day 1 Check eggs for fertilization (the presence of two pronuclei or PN's)
Day 2 Embryos at the 4-cell or more stage of development
Day 3 Embryos at the 8-cell or more stage of development
Day 4 Embryos at the compacted morula (16-32 cell) stage
Day 5 Embryos at the blastocyst stage of development

...Critical points in development are (1) fertilization, (2) 4 to 8 cell stage and (3) morula to blastocyst stage.

With regards to grading, some clinics use the reverse scale so that Grade 4 is best...you would need to check with your own clinic (ours uses Grade 1 as best) and some clinics don't grade at all...

Numeric grading systems for multicell embryos usually have 4 levels (this showing Grade 1 as best):

Grade 1: even cell division, no fragmentation
Grade 2: even cell division, small fragmentation
Grade 3: uneven cell division, moderate fragmentation
Grade 4: uneven cell division, excessive fragmentation

Blastocysts are graded differently with a number and two letters.

The number refers to the degree of expansion of the blastocyst (1 is the least expanded, 6 is the most expanded). The first letter (A,B, or C) refers to the quality of the inner cell mass (the part of the blastocyst that is going to be the baby) and the second letter (A, B, or C) refers to the quality of the trophectoderm (the part of the blastocyst that is going to be the placenta).

Sometimes the laboratory uses the reversed scale where a grade 4 embryo is equivalent to a grade 1 embryo on the above scale. Check with your lab

And here's some more info...

http://www.ivf-bath.co.uk/treatments/embryo_grading.htm

However, lower grades and less cells doesn't necessarily mean that won't implant, just as higher grades can't guarantee success...

This website shows pictures of the different embryos and uses the reverse grading where grade 4 is best...

http://www.advancedfertility.com/embryos.htm

[red]This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites[/red]
Hope that helps :)

Why not join the other ladies who are in 2ww after having treatment...

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=137459.60

Lots of luck ^reiki^
Natasha

1 - 2 of 2 Posts