Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry to ask yet another question but what is IUI??

thanks for the help!

^fairydust^ to you all!!

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi

Dont hold me to explaining it correctly. IUI is where the docs time your cycle by giving you injections to make your follicles grow, they will give you scans on your ovaries to check the progress. When the follicles are at the correct size i think they will give you an injection to induce ovulation. At the time of ovulation your partner will give a sperm sample which will be taken away, washed and spun to get rid of all the dead sperm and gunk and then they will inseminate it inside you as near as possible to your fallopian tube.

I Think this is right or near enough, if somebody else can explain it better then please do coz im rubbish with explanations lol  ^idiot^

Claire xxxxx  :)

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Think bbmonster has pretty well explained it...IUI is Intra Uterine Insemination.

You don't necessarily have to have injections to develop more mature follies, you can take Clomid or sometimes even with no drugs if you ovulate naturally - although it is closely monitored by scans so that you can be inseminated with your partners "washed" sperm (only the prime swimmers are used) at exactly the right time just before you actually ovulate. Since the sperm are "placed" as close to the tubes as possible it gives them optimum chance, rather than having to get through the cervix & up through the womb to the correct tube (a bit of a journey!!)

Good luck & take care
Natasha :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
These ladies have explained quite well.  I did not, however, have injections or scans with IUI.  If you are able to ov (which I was on clomid) then IUI is just placing the ^sperm^ as close to the tubes as possible through the cervix.  I was only monitored by taking OPK and then getting the insemination the day after the surge.

Hope this helps.  I guess it is best to say, everyone and their treatment is soooo different :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.