Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I got an expresser a couple of days ago and have not been sure when to start.  ???
I've read a lot of the posts on here, so I've chosen the evening time around 7ish to express. first tried to get some milk off the breast she had finished with but not much left, so tried the other side whilst she was having a suckle on the near empty breast and got nearly 1oz.. (needed 3 hands idealy  ;D) but didn't want to 'take' anymore as I'm not sure how quickly the milk comes back in. As I alternate each breast with each feed (e.g 7ish left and 11 right etc) I just want to build up a supply where DP can step in and give her a feed when I'm busy maybe a couple of times a day. So how much can I take? and for how long? will I bodge up her next feed if I express from the other boob when she's feeding from the other?
any advice greatly appreciated  :)
x

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Alisha

Double pumping is a much more effective way of expressing breast milk. Often you will produce more milk first thing in the morning so it maybe worth you expressing after she has had her morning feed (just express the side that she hasn't fed from much).

It will take 1-2 weeks for your supply to increase. So try and express am & pm to help stimulate the production of more milk (see my info on increasing your breast milk supply) so that you can build up a supply.

When your hubby gives a feed in a bottle you will also need to express both breasts at that time to maintain your supply.

So long as their is around a 3 hour gap in between expressing and breast feeding then your supply will be fine. If anything it will help with your supply.

Initially express for around 10-20 mins. The amount expressed will depend upon how long it takes..but don't go over the 20 mins esp as you will still be breast feeding and expressing. You should notice an improvement in volume after around 1-2 weeks. As you produce more milk it should take less time to get the amount you need.

So, just see how much you produce. Ideally you will be expressing just over what she wants in a bottle. You need a few more ounces than she is feeding so that you can build up a supply.

Let me know how you get on

Jxx

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi J
thanks for replying so swiftly ^hugme^ ohh that's great! she's just had a little feed so I'll hop to it then.. didn't think it would take that long to come in (the extra milk) ..I thought it would take a day or at most two ::) ;D .. I'll keep up this routine then .. she's been slipping in extra long feeds so I think she's built up some extra supplies as well ..bless or ....

When she feeds for a long time say up to an hour (yesterday evening) should I try her on the other breast too? maybe the milk has practically all gone... ? I've been 'saving' the other one for the next feed ??? I've just stuck to what the m/w told me to do. (one breast each feed) oh blimey maybe I should of been doing that.. eeek have I been starving her :-\ she normally comes off herself though...

How long does it take to empty the breast? (is that like saying how long is a piece of string? ) ???

LO's weight gain has been a little slow.

she also has (we have) breast milk jaundice but that doesn't mean anything significant does it. I mean it wouldn't affect her any more if she had oodles more milk? just may improve if she has less..(but that's not an option of course)

sorry for the ramble and big thanks for your help and advice..great new section :-* :)
A xx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts