Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

When did you really start to believe you were pregnant?

• When you got your BFP

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • At first scan

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • At 12 week scan

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • At 20 week scan

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • When started to show/or started to feel movement

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 24.1%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would ask this question because I still don't REALLY believe I am pregnant, even after 2 scans I am in major denial and think the lack of symptoms is helping me stay in denial and not quite believe it!
I'm interested in other people's experiences of this...x

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Not until I started to feel her move and see my belly grow

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't think I really believed it until I heard his first cry

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hey I'm the first to vote  ;D

I'm 14 weeks with my second and still not believing that I am really pregnant  ^idiot^ ^idiot^  I think it was movements for me with my first.  I didn't buy a thing or allow anyone to give/lend me anything until about 8 weeks before my EDD which was only 6 weeks before she was born.

It's such a struggle to get here it can be hard to believe it won't be cruelly taken away again.  Enjoy and good luck

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
First time around I don't think I ever really believed it despite seeing Ted's heartbeat twice, but sadly it wasn't to be.

Second time I believed it straight away, and the honeymoon period lasted just a week.  Once I had my first dodgy hcg result I refused to get attached and that didn't really change until after my harmony results at 12w6d when I also found out we were having a boy.  Even then there was always a little hesitant cloud hanging around and it was really only at 28 weeks and our 4d scan that I believed we might actually have a take home baby x

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can definitely relate to some of these comments, I think I'm protecting myself this time by not really believing it so it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Yesterday in work one of the nurses I work with announced her pregnancy and she has just turned 6 weeks, oh to be so relaxed about telling everybody, I still can't bring myself to tell people x

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
For me it happened when I took a huge bleed at 26 weeks and everybody started flapping about in the room as they realised I was 2cm dilated and they rushed me down to labour ward and when I saw 2 baby cots prepared in the room I started to bawl and I couldn't stop, my heart has never skipped so many beats as reality dawned my babies were very real and they were in mortal danger  :'( thankfully a guardian angel brought us safely through for another 5 weeks x

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm 18 weeks today with twins so quite big already and still don't believe this is finally it.  I won't buy anything and have told family I don't want anything in the house yet.  A number of people have commented that I need to start to enjoy the pregnancy and I wish I could but I'm just so anxious. Oh and I can't feel them move yet due to two anterior placentas so when the midwife etc keep asking me if I can feel movement it just freaks me out.

Congrats on the pregnancy.

Cordelia xxxx

·
Registered
543 Posts
24 weeks here and still don't believe it. Can feel and see baby kicking but still don't believe it. Probably will believe when see baby in person and birthday.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I voted for when I can see and feel it.... However I still don't always REALLY think its true...

I'm 25 weeks and I keep expecting Jeremy Beadle to jump out and go "Gotcha!"

I think I'll believe it when I show more - I'm quite large so people who don't know I'm pregnant wouldn't really notice (yes with twins!)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your responses, I'm obviously not as far on as most of you so it helps to know I'm not the only one who finds it hard to believe that it's real.
For those who have still to have your babies, congrats and wishing you all the very best with your pregnancies xx

·
Registered
71 Posts
11weeks now and still don't quite believe it ....... looking forward to telling friends

·
Registered
150 Posts
It only really hit me a few weeks about when I walked into a toy store looking for a teddy bear.

While in the shop I suddenly thought I'm going to be buying toys for the next 10 years. Really got me thinking wow!!

Xx

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
i was struggling to believe it and asked my sister about it, she said you never do, even when they hand you the baby you look down and think 'where did you come from?' and i laughed and thought that was silly but do you know what? she was right!!!
even at 20 week scan i was absolutely convinced that maybe even though i knew i had had loads of scans already that it would have died, i was numb really with the thought of it and so so relieved when that scan was over and it was ok, but still within hours was worrying again... in the last few weeks i disassociated myself from the baby almost, i so couldn't bear the idea that each kick could be the last that i couldn't count them or look for them... i loved the early kicks but after about 28 weeks they just made me worry...

when they finally did hand me the baby i was still convinced everything would go wrong any minute. i think it was only later on that day when i phoned my mum that i felt as if i had achieved something, that it might be real.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm 8 weeks and I'm starting to beleive but terrified of believing if that makes any sense? The constant nausea is making me beleive and it's lovely to beleive but then I have a fear that something terrible is going to happen x

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Gold bunny I am exactly the same this week.  Got consultant on Thursday and really anxious that something is wrong.  Had a couple of niggly pains which I know is probably just stretching but convincing myself it's bad news, I just can't stop being anxious.  I don't think it helps that I'm 19 weeks and not feeling movement but both placentas are anterior so they did say it could be later.

Cordelia xxx

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Goldbunny I feel very similar to a lot of things you said. I'm 11 weeks tomorrow and because I don't really have symptoms it's as if I don't really believe it's real. I also feel like I've disassociated from the fact I'm pregnant because it's like I'm waiting on something going wrong which is a horrible feeling. I had another scan on Friday and was convinced they were going to tell me there was no baby anymore but there it was wriggling away, it was so surreal and the most amazing thing, but I still can't let myself really believe it and we have still told no one.
Cordelia I'm sure there must be loads of changes going on at your stage, even more so with twins so I'm sure all the niggly pains are normal, but I know how much of a worry it all is.
Divas I know exactly what you mean about being terrified to believe it, I have wished for nausea the past few weeks because see it as a good sign-I know, I'm crazy!
It's really good to know from all your responses that feeling like this is not totally abnormal, probably more the norm especially when we have been through so much to get to this stage ️xx

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
I think it felt real when they booked my induction at 36 weeks lol

yes it certainly was real

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
I'm 28w 2d and still don't believe it.  Finding it really hard to wrap my head round the fact that someone is growing inside me, despite the kicks and scan pictures.  I'm with Goldbunny, I'll believe when there is a baby in my arms!

Turia x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
OMG, my eldest is 10 and I still have moments now (normally whilst walking into school) when I can't believe he (and his siblings) are really here!

C xx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts