Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peter
I was just wondering if you could tell me when pregnancy testing is too early and if you test too early are you likely to get a false reading?

I was meant to have a blood test at my clinic on the 26th but I live 300 miles away and am unable to get more time of work.
My egg collection was on the 9th and my transfer was on the 12th (We did ICSI) I did a home test today which was negative but have been told that I may have tested too early. I tested today as I've already had two failed cycles and on both of these my period started at 12 days past egg collection.
I've been given cyclogest, progynova and baby aspirin.

I realise I'm clutching at straws but had to ask.

many thanks for your time
Kerry

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dear Kerry,

Most clinics test on day 15 when day 2 was the day of embryo transfer. Urine dip sticks will not detect a pregnancy before that day.

In your case it is therefore still too early to be sure.

Hope this helps,

Peter

KT said:
Peter
I was just wondering if you could tell me when pregnancy testing is too early and if you test too early are you likely to get a false reading?

I was meant to have a blood test at my clinic on the 26th but I live 300 miles away and am unable to get more time of work.
My egg collection was on the 9th and my transfer was on the 12th (We did ICSI) I did a home test today which was negative but have been told that I may have tested too early. I tested today as I've already had two failed cycles and on both of these my period started at 12 days past egg collection.
I've been given cyclogest, progynova and baby aspirin.

I realise I'm clutching at straws but had to ask.

many thanks for your time
Kerry

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peter
Thanks for your prompt reply

with love
Kerry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

I've read that a lot of girls on FF have been given something called cyclogest, post ET. At my clinic you have two batches of HCG - (2500 ml) on et and 3 days post et? What is the difference betweem HCG and progesterone support please?

Also, I'm 5 days post ET and althou' I had sore breasts yesterday (post the HCG injection) this seems to have worn off now and I'm concerned that there's absolutely no side effects to indicate that I'm pregnant - surely if I was pregnant my breasts would be sorer and there would be other symptoms? What are the most commonly reported signs for people in the 2ww who have gone on to become pregnant please?

You're a star (and thanks Mel and Tony for devising this brill site - it's the best website for people going thru' fertility treatment) 8)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

louiselud said:
Hi

I've read that a lot of girls on FF have been given something called cyclogest, post ET. At my clinic you have two batches of HCG - (2500 ml) on et and 3 days post et? What is the difference betweem HCG and progesterone support please?

hCG is the hormaone which triggers ovulation. Progesterone is the hormone which supports the early embryo in the implantation phase. This is usually given by cyclogest pessaries or gestone injections.

Also, I'm 5 days post ET and althou' I had sore breasts yesterday (post the HCG injection) this seems to have worn off now and I'm concerned that there's absolutely no side effects to indicate that I'm pregnant - surely if I was pregnant my breasts would be sorer and there would be other symptoms?

No, it's too early for any symptoms. It's just a matter of waiting I am afraid!

What are the most commonly reported signs for people in the 2ww who have gone on to become pregnant please?

It is impossible to generalise and some women have no signs at all when pregnant. Don't worry (easy to say!), relax (also easy to say) and think positive!

You're a star (and thanks Mel and Tony for devising this brill site - it's the best website for people going thru' fertility treatment) 8)

I agree (not about me being a star but about this beoing the best website!!).

Peter

·
Registered
130 Posts
Peter I know you will be glad when I finish this cycle and I'm so sorry to bother you again but I've done another test today (hosp test due Sun) and it's bright pink BUT I'm still spotting with AF feeling, is this what you call a chemical pregnacy?
I didn't spot all night but once I'm up I do. I am resting etc but I still get that feeling?
Sorry hope this will be the last time I bother you.
Love Clare ??? ::) ??? ::) :-\

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dear Clare,

It's no bother!!

Your test now sounds clearly positive. The spotting is not ideal but then again many women spot throughout pregnancy and still have perfectly healthy babies. Try to rest as much as possible and contact your clinic if you get concerned.

All the best,

Peter

Clare said:
Peter I know you will be glad when I finish this cycle and I'm so sorry to bother you again but I've done another test today (hosp test due Sun) and it's bright pink BUT I'm still spotting with AF feeling, is this what you call a chemical pregnacy?
I didn't spot all night but once I'm up I do. I am resting etc but I still get that feeling?
Sorry hope this will be the last time I bother you.
Love Clare ??? ::) ??? ::) :-\

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Peter

Many many thanks for all your support. I did the pregnancy test today (day 14 post et) and it was positive. I'm booked into the clinic for bloodtests on Friday. I'm delighted but very scared, particularly as on day 10 post ET I had a very very small spot of pink blood, thou' nothing since.

Following my early (spontaneous) miscarriage last year I'm frightened that it is going to happen again and I wondered if you could give some advice on what I can and can't do (eg swimming etc) and if I can ask the clinic to give me anything to help the pregnancy along in these early weeks eg prosterone ( if you remember I had HCG injections rather than progesterone).

Is there any tests the clinic can do before 6 weeks apart from checking HCG blood levels please?

To be honest I'm more frightened than happy because after suffering the devastation last time I'm dreading it happening again.

Love

Lou

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dear Louise,

Congratulations!! Try to put previous experiences out of your mind and to think positive. Carry on with life as normal but do not do any strenuous excercise.

You can have a scan to see the fetal heart, when this is done will depend on your clinic.

Try to think about the future, not the past.

Good luck!

Peter

louiselud said:
Hi Peter

Many many thanks for all your support. I did the pregnancy test today (day 14 post et) and it was positive. I'm booked into the clinic for bloodtests on Friday. I'm delighted but very scared, particularly as on day 10 post ET I had a very very small spot of pink blood, thou' nothing since.

Following my early (spontaneous) miscarriage last year I'm frightened that it is going to happen again and I wondered if you could give some advice on what I can and can't do (eg swimming etc) and if I can ask the clinic to give me anything to help the pregnancy along in these early weeks eg prosterone ( if you remember I had HCG injections rather than progesterone).

Is there any tests the clinic can do before 6 weeks apart from checking HCG blood levels please?

To be honest I'm more frightened than happy because after suffering the devastation last time I'm dreading it happening again.

Love

Lou

·
Registered
856 Posts

heat said:
Hi,
did a hpt this morning and it was positive.

Congratulations!!

I have now started bleeding. not very heavy but am having crampy pain. Had crampy pain last night, with a little spotting, and had convinced myself i was going to get a negative this morning. I couldn't believe it when it was positive.

This is not unusual

Last time, we had a positive, but i had an early miscarraige. could this be happening again?

Unlikely. Try to think positive.

Is it possible to have a bleed but still be pregnant?

yes, many women bleed all the way through perfectly viable pregnancies.

When we had out 1st mc, the hpt was positive, but fairly light, but this morning the pink line really stood out. Is this a good sign?

Very good!! Relax, think positive and you will give yourself the best chance of success.

I rang my clinic this morning with my results, and they said i have to rest and take things easy, but just to let nature take it's course.

That sounds like a nurse talking! I agree but I am much more optimistic.

Im so scared and confused. I dont want to loose another baby.

I understand and I wish you the very best

Regards,

Peter

heather xxx

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Jac and Peter

Have just spoken on phone to Heat and read your messages out to her as she is following all your advice and staying in bed and resting. She says thankyou for your help and advice - which she is following and for thinking of her and just asked for you to pray for her that it will turn out ok ^spot^

love julie anne xxxxx

·
Registered
169 Posts
Peter

an update on Heather - she has tested this morning and the result is still positive. The bleeding is now more brown than red - the clinic seems to think that she might have had twins and have lost 1 whilst retaining one. We are happy but still cautious - she has to continue with bed rest and retest on wednesday.

Julie anne xx ^reiki^

·
Registered
856 Posts
That's good news, I wish he all the best!

Peter

Julie Anne said:
Peter

an update on Heather - she has tested this morning and the result is still positive. The bleeding is now more brown than red - the clinic seems to think that she might have had twins and have lost 1 whilst retaining one. We are happy but still cautious - she has to continue with bed rest and retest on wednesday.

Julie anne xx ^reiki^

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Peter,

i would like your advice about something please.....

I am currently 11 weeks pregnant. I conceived naturally after ttc for 4 years. In that time we had had a blighted ovum following a successfull IUI but no other pregnancys until this one. The Dr said this could have been caused by poor egg quality.

I had IVF in OIctober which was changed to GIFT because I underresponded dispite being on the max amount of drugs. This failed. We were told afterward that the egg quality was not great and due to my raised FSH and low ovarian reserve, we could have one more go but then we should give up or consider egg donation. I am only 32 but in the Drs really sensitive way of putting it, he said I have the ovaries of a 42 year old.

My question is that we are approaching the time to consider which, if any tests we have to determine the risk of Downs Syndrome, and obviously the risk goes up hugely between the ages of 32 and 42, so which am I? Is my risk to do with my age, or the state of my ovaries?

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me,

Thanks Peter!

Samxxx

·
Registered
856 Posts

sam said:
Hi Peter,

i would like your advice about something please.....

I am currently 11 weeks pregnant.

Congratulations!!! Don't forget to read my information on umbilical cord stem cells.

I conceived naturally after ttc for 4 years.

You see! The 'experts' do not know it all!!

In that time we had had a blighted ovum following a successfull IUI but no other pregnancys until this one. The Dr said this could have been caused by poor egg quality.

I had IVF in OIctober which was changed to GIFT because I underresponded dispite being on the max amount of drugs. This failed. We were told afterward that the egg quality was not great and due to my raised FSH and low ovarian reserve, we could have one more go but then we should give up or consider egg donation. I am only 32 but in the Drs really sensitive way of putting it, he said I have the ovaries of a 42 year old.

Very subtle!

My question is that we are approaching the time to consider which, if any tests we have to determine the risk of Downs Syndrome,

The only reliable test is the triple test (a blood test) which will give you a risk of Downs'. This can be combined with what is known as Nuchal transluscency ultrasound on those patients who have an increased risk as identified by the triple test. These two tests together can give a reasnably definite diagnosis but the only truy definite diagnosis is an amniocentesis which can only be done later in pregnancy and also carries a risk both for the mother and the fetus. Your midwife/obstetrician will be able to advise you on all of these.

and obviously the risk goes up hugely between the ages of 32 and 42, so which am I?

Downs' risk increases significantly in women over 40, you are 32 (ignore those comments about 42) so you are low to medium risk.

Is my risk to do with my age, or the state of my ovaries?

Risk is calculated on age.

Hope this helps!

Peter

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me,

Thanks Peter!

Samxxx

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dear Paula,

You need to leave at least 15 days from egg collection to get a meaningful result. The test maker you suggest is OK as are the cheaper 'own brand' kits such as Boots.

Regards,

Peter

paula said:
Hello Peter,

Me again with yet another stupid question (I did warn you that I would think of them).

I had my ET done on 12th March (ICSI) and am due to go back to the hospital on Wed 26th March for them to do a preg test.

The thing is that I think I would prefer to do my own test at home on the Tuesday so I am not going into the hospital blind and end up having the screaming abdads infront of everyone.

Do you think this would be OK and accurate? Also I am thinking of using Clearblue test - would you recommend this or could you tell me what you would use?

Sorry for the hassle

Paula

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dear Paula,

Congratulations!!

A urine test is just as sensitive as a blood test so don't worry. Enjoy your pregnancy and don't forget to read my stuff on cord blood stem cells.

Regards,

Peter

paula said:
Hello Peter,

Me again with another question.

I got a postivie pregnancy result from my hospital last week (which I still don't believe), but I noticed that alot of people have blood tests instead of normal pregnancy tests.

Can you tell me what the difference is and why some hospitals use one while others use the other?

Thanks

Paula

ps Hope you enjoyed your break.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dear Paula,

Don't keep testing, you are pregnant!! Just relax and enjoy it, you will not have a minute to yourself for the next eighteen years!!

The stem cell info can be accessed by clicking on the link below my message. If you have any questions you know where I am.

Good luck!

Peter

paula said:
Thanks Peter,

I am still a complete wreck and up to my 6th pregnancy test - at least they are all positive.

I have read your post about blood stem cells - could you let me know when you have to decide and do you just contact the company you listed for them to organise it?

Thanks again - you are a star

Paula

·
Registered
2 Posts
Firstly I would like to say what a wonderful site this is, I have found it very informative and reassuring throughout my fist course of IVF. I haven't posted before so I hope this works, I just have a very general question if someone can help. The IVF has worked and I am now pregnant with twins, still finding it hard to believe after so many years of trying. Anyway, I have been given different expected dates of delivery, my clinic says 13 November and the GP says 1 November. How do I calculate exactly how many weeks pregnant I am? My LMP was 24 January, EC 10 Feb and ET 12 Feb. Would really appreciate it if anyone can advise.
Many thanks, Tracy DV. p.s good luck to everyone still having treatment, hang in there it really does work!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dear Tracy,

Congratulations!!

The easiest method is 40 weeks from your LMP but bear in mind that with twins they will almost certainly be early.

Don't forget to read my information on umbilical cord stem cells, click on the link at the bottom of my message.

Good luck!!

Peter

Tracy DV said:
Firstly I would like to say what a wonderful site this is, I have found it very informative and reassuring throughout my fist course of IVF. I haven't posted before so I hope this works, I just have a very general question if someone can help. The IVF has worked and I am now pregnant with twins, still finding it hard to believe after so many years of trying. Anyway, I have been given different expected dates of delivery, my clinic says 13 November and the GP says 1 November. How do I calculate exactly how many weeks pregnant I am? My LMP was 24 January, EC 10 Feb and ET 12 Feb. Would really appreciate it if anyone can advise.
Many thanks, Tracy DV. p.s good luck to everyone still having treatment, hang in there it really does work!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts