Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've had a very tough few weeks.
I got 30 eggs at EC and was advised a freeze-all as I was at risk of OHSS (I now have it, but mildly)
I egg-shared, so got 15 eggs for us.
Out of that 15, only 3 fertilised, and according to our embryologist, it was because the sperm was very poor quality.
I just cannot believe that out of 15 eggs, only 3 made it.
We had our 3 frozen on saturday, they were collected on friday, and we have been told the fertilisation looks good, we will be using them next month in a FET cycle.
I am feeling very very low, thinking about the fact there is only 3, and although our clinic is hopeful that we *should* get 1-2 good grade embies from it, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Because of things that happened last week with my clinic, that I cannot discuss due to legal reasons, we have decided to have a look at other clinics, and go for either ICSI (but most definatly not egg sharing) or DIUI.
The one thing is that I am not working at present due to depression, so it will be a struggle to afford ICSI without egg sharing.
Plus, I am worrying that we will only get a few embies again.
Or, we are thinking of going back to DIUI.
I had a cycle of DIUI last year, natural, and was lucky enough to fall pregnant first time. I did lose my baby, but the reason we decided to try ICSI was my hubby was really not happy using a donor.
He has shocked me by crying and crying over this, he is not the type to cry at all, and I must admit I did feel quite alone in my grief and anger over IF until this past week.
His count ranges from 0.1-3.1 mill, and is around 66% motile. I was just wondering if people could share their experiances with us, to help us make our decision?

Marie xx

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Dear Marie,

I am so sorry that you are both being exposed to this continual pain and torture. I don't know what to say except to send you hugs.

Something about all of this does not sound right. We had to get sperm by a testicular biopsy of my DH and then it was not good quality. They said that there were very few "twitchers".

However, with ICSI we were told that it should not matter. They should be able to pick out the "good sperm" and then use these for fertilisation.

These are the details for our 2 cycles as a guide:

1. 12 eggs, 6 injected, 5 fertilised
2. 15 eggs, 12 injected, 7 fertilised

The eggs which were not injected were not mature enough we were told.

Do you know if all eggs were injected?

We also have a struggle with money so I really appreciate how very precious each attempt is.

Also appreciate that using a donor is a decision not OK for all, including us.

With love to you and Mark,

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flopsy,

I thought something was very suss about this as well. 8 eggs were injected, 3 fertilised. To be honest, the treatment we got from our clinic, nothing would suprise me ::)
I wouldnt be suprised if they just didnt bother.
We just got told that the sperm just wasnt good enough, but silly old me was under the impression that ICSI was there for couples with sperm problems.

I guess we just had really bad luck - but we was told before we started the ICSI that 66% motile was fab, that they were healthy but were just not enough of them?!

I am thinking of ringing them up and asking again what their reasons are for them not fertilising. It all seems to me that they wanted as many eggs possible for our recipetant, and they cared very very little about us.

I have been looking around at other clinics, but I really don't see how we could afford another try of ICSI without egg sharing, so it all seems to point towards this being it.

I can't see 3 frosites surviving the thaw - they were frozen on day 2, which apparently gives you a better thaw survival rate, but we'll see.

Thanks for the reply, flopsy, I appreciate it

Marie xx

·
Registered
913 Posts
Marie

So sorry that you are both having such pain through what is already an emotionally charged time. ^cuddleup^

We were told that ICSI is for cases with poor sperm quality so it does seem strange that they are saying its poor sperm. Count and motility are not factors in ICSI as they should select the best sperm anyway.

We had 11 eggs, 8 injected, 7 fertilised. The eggs not injected were not mature enough.

You mentioned that you egg shared a large number of eggs - do you know how your recepient got on as this might be an interesting comparison in terms of egg quality given the quantity.

Donor sperm is not OK by all. I would not consider it myself and I know that DP would not be overly happy. In some respects your DH outburst is good as his deepest feelings have surfaced and you can now discuss the implications honestly. Does your clinic have a counselling service? It might be wise to discuss via that route too.

Best wishes for your FET, I hope that it makes your dreams come true.

Love
LindaJane

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Marie,

I know how hard all this is and how disappointing it can be when things don't seem quite right .

We had to have SSR as dh tubes are blocked but with the first ICSI we had about 7 eggs and 4 embies, second go...although we were told the sperm looked good out of 11 eggs we had only 1 embie. I was devastated...went through emotions very similar to yours, even on the review there was not much information, but I do believe it comes down to the embryologist...but then maybe dh sperm wasn't as good as the first go...who knows....I do know that our clinic has employed more experienced embryologists now so am sticking with them.

Its a horrible process and I wish nobody had to endure the endless torture and pain of infertilty.

I wish you loads of luck

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Marie

Have posted IM

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey hun, i done 1st icsi cycle with negative result :( my second one is starting next month, medicines will be delivered next week, i had 7 v.good quality eggs but 4 fertilised, 2 embryos only and they transfered both.... my other half don't have any motile sperm !! atleast yours have some and they have some abnormality... i really broke down.... 1st one was free with nhs but now we have to pay.... paying is not a problem but i hope 2nd one works out for me, my other half has been eating wells tablets for infertility and i hope it will help, its been approx. 2 months now....

anyone here with a situation similar to me, please do share, we are here to support each other as its only gals who have to go through this hard things :(

i don't have any problems whatsoever, i don's smoke, don't drink, no allergy, no side affects... was abit chubby so lost alot of weight too..

please do share...

luv xxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts