Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My Ds is very interested in all the beds in the house.  He loves snuggling down inthem, pretending to sleep, making snoring noises  ( very funny ).  He will be 2 at the beginning of July.  Do you think thsi is too early.  He is a good sleeper and has been for the past 18 mnths.

Shaz x

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
we did it at 18 months with heather and haven't had a problem at all. Only fell out once really early on!  ;D She has been a good sleeper form day one- she just looked so tiny when we put her in the big bed!
We didn't get a bed guard but put pillows down- and she has a safety gate on her bedroom door so can't get out!

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I'm all for keeping them 'caged' as long as possible hence J still having the bars on his bed at nearly 3 years old. ;D ;D However, a friend of mine took them off her ds's cotbed when he was 13/14 months without problems, I think it even took him nearly a year to work out he could get out!

I don't think there is a right or wrong age, just right and wrong for you so if you feel he's ready then go for it!

Chux xx

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Just wanted to know when everyone moved their kids from cot to bed as many of my friends are hinting that I should be moving R now.

Your experiences would be greatfully received

Thanks

Morven

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
We moved N about 6 or 8 weeks ago into a toddler bed but still had to get a bed guard for is cos he fell out of it twice ::)

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Ignore your friends and do it when you and your ds are ready as there is no 'right' time, just right for you. However, I am in the "leave them caged as long as possible" camp ;D ;D so ds didn't get the bars taken off with ds until just after he'd turned three as he made no attempt to climb out. Dd was 2 last month and I have no intention of taking the bars off her cotbed any time soon either!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
DS's bars came off his cot bed last Friday, 4 nights before his 3rd birthday  :)

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
I did it when I was good and ready and I thought so was he - at about 2 yrs 8 months.  Though it was brought forward because I needed the cot for no 2, otherwise he'd probably still be in there!  ;D
He was actually capable of climbing out of his cot and had been for some time but only chose to do it in the morning, not during the night, so it wasn't a problem.  I just felt the bars and size of the cot gave him an added feeling of security and it seemed to be a psychological barrier at least...

We finally moved him into a big bed a couple of months ago and it went fine.  No upset and he only fell out once on the first night, he didnt have a pillow to start with, so we gave him one, which he doesn't use but it seems to stop him falling out  ^idiot^

Forget what other people say, why is everyone always in such a rush to move other people's children on?  It's up to you.

Claire x

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi

Gavin was still in his cot at 3.  I only moved him out of it because  ds2 was on the way and I didn't want it to look like he was being kicked out of his bed for a new baby!

I would say if you're happy withi him in his cot and he's not escaping from it, leave it until you're both ready.

Annette

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi,
LO is nearly 21 months old and I'm wondering if I should take the sides off his cot?
At the moment everything is  great with his sleeping and the only reason I'm thinking about it, is because maybe he should be learning how to sleep in a bed.
He can't climb out of his cot cause he wears gro-bags and is still quite happy to be in his cot. So should I just leave it be? Or should I go for it?
What age is best?

Thanks,
Claire x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
No reason to, so I wouldn't bother changing anything!  Enjoy the sleep!

Claire x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I agree - if it ain't broke then don't fix it. Why move him unnecessarily?? I always said I wouldn't take the bars off of ds1's until he climbed out, but about a month after he turned 3 we decided we'd waited long enough so bit the bullet then!

Chux xx

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for your reassurance  :) I will be waiting until I HAVE to! Don't really want waking in the middle of the night being poked in the eyes or something simlar  ;D

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
We took Kieran's off the day after Boxing Day, so he was nearly 2 1/2, as on Boxing Day he climbed out twice whilst having a nap.    Hes been fine in his cot bed and we have a stair gate across his room so no chance of getting poked in the eye ;D also to stop him getting out of his room and falling down the stairs in the dark.  I was worried about changing to a bed as I wasn't sure if he would get out of bed and play if he didn't go straight to sleep, but hes pretty good and stays in his bed at nighttime.

Shazznewman

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Claire

we took our sides off our DS's cotbed very early and all was still and quiet for a couple of weeks and then he found the door handle and now all you can hear is the padding of little feet up the corridor and a cheery wake up mummy!  ;D

We are expecting baby 2 and I may never take the bars off!!!

Good luck

Bertieboy XXX

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hiya ...

C&O sleep in cot beds & have plenty of room in there ...they have never tried to climb out of them ...

Is there an age where i 'should' take the sides down to make proper beds or means as they are happy leave them as they are ....

Also at what age does the risk of SIDS decrease ....

Thanks

Hope XXX

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi
There is no right or wrong answer.  If you think they are ready then you could always go for it.

The only thing I would say is that the minute you take the sides off there is nothing to stop them running in to your room the minute they wake (5.30 in our house).  My mum told me to keep the sides on for as long as possible ... and I am glad she did.

I think DS was about  .... do you know I can't remember at all.  Can't even remember if we did it before DD was born!  Sorry!

I don't think taking the sides off has an impact on SIDS - and I think the key age the risk decreases is around 1 but could be wrong ....

All the best whatever you decide
DC

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
We tried taking them of when DD1 was just about 2 and well it was awful, she never wanted to sleep in her bed always ours.  Needless to say the sides are back on and will be staying on until she climbs out which shes never even tried. I would say leave them as long as possible

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Not sure about SIDS, but M has only just come out of her cotbed, with the sides on - we left her as long as possible, but because we need the cotbed for number 2 decided to move her out.  

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
We left the sides on until DS turned 3. He'd never tried to climb out & even now he doesn't leave his bed until we go in to him.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts