Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering when you ladies aim togo on mat leave???i was thinking around 35wk mark but thinkin this will be too late.i dont think id be able to work till then.then thought maybe at around 32wks.any ideas???i sit behind a computor and counter all day stretching over the counter.

hayley

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi Hayley,

I officially went on mat leave when I was 32wks but actually left at 28wks coz I had 4wks annual leave to use up.

28 wks was late enough for me and I spent the rest of my pregnancy in my pj's! If you can manage to 35wks then I take my hat off to you! A lot of people with 'just' one baby leave work before 35wks and you don't want to over do it and not enjoy the babies when they arrive.

Surferchick xxx

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi.  I had set my mat leave date for 36 weeks, however ended up going off on the sick at 28 weeks.  I really couldnt have gone on working any longer as I was getting really big and the swelling had started.  I think you will struggle to make it to 35 weeks, but I might be wrong, you might have more stamina than I did!

Good luck
Anna x

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hi,

Congratulations on your twin pregnancy.

I went on maternity leave offically at 32 weeks but finished at 30 weeks (2 weeks holiday).  Like you I was planning to finish about 35/36 weeks but there was no way I was going to make it.  I had an office job - sat at the computer and on the phone all day.

It's hard to think but it will be a year ago on the 1st June when I left  ;D

Sharon xx

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Hayley

I plan to go at 30 weeks - ( on 1st june too Sharon!)
Im 23 weeks now and sitting down at a desk or sofa / chair  or car is killling my back and am in constant agony - I really didnt want to 'waste' maternity leave by going early but will have to! I may try and get signed off before then if it continues to get worse. YOu could set yourself a date you think will be ok and if cant cope, get signed off before then if you have sick leave left.

Mary xx

·
Premium Member
24,203 Posts
Hayley glad you asked this  :-[

My work want to know and i honestly dont know what to say  ::) i am a sales exec so travel in the car to see clients etc so not sure when to  :-\

I have some holiday left but i dont want to take it to early IYKWIM and i dont want to take it too late as i would like at least 3 wks at home to get sorted for their arrival  :-[

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Mary - 1st June - excellent decision

Emma - I couldn't fit behind the steering wheel from about 33 weeks - I think.

Although I had 7 weeks before the boys arrived I don't thinkI could have worked at all, it was bad enough just putting my knickers on in the morning  ;D ;D

Sharon xx

·
Premium Member
24,203 Posts
Oh crikey thanks Sharon  :eek: :eek: :eek: ;D ;D ;D ;D i may start my hols from 28wks then and go straight into maternity leave  ::)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi, i am due to take holidays from 31 wks then start maternity aftr that.  I am 27 weeks just now and not that big, keep getting braxton hicks and stil being sick but still reletivly comfy (cant spell!!)

I dont want to come off to early as I have already had 3 months off sick due to being in hospital with hyperemsis and I feel you loose all motivation when your off.

I think in 4 weeks time though I will have sprouted and be ready to come off.  Hopefully it will be nice weather and can lie in sun a bit, I am already all organised so running out of things to do.

·
Premium Member
24,203 Posts
Everyone is so different arent they  ::) well done for getting this far and feeling like you can carry on till 31wks  ^hugme^ i am just worried as im fairly small in weight etc so worry i wont be able to manage  :-*

·
Registered
134 Posts
Emma - I too am a sales exec in the car  - for up to 6 hours driving a day - on top of paperwork etc when get home. My consultant actually said I shloudnt be oding this much even now - he said weeks 18-25 were crucial to avoid prem labour and i told him about the terrible backache the car etc gives me and that wasnt starting mat leave til 30 weeks and he actually said 'rest is essential for you, and as you prgoress you may well need to get signed off b4  by your gp as back pain is not a good sign and its bad to be crapmed up in the car for so long'

M x

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you ladies :-*

well i know you can start mat leave 11wks before due date.im on hol on the 18th aug for a wk and was thinking maybe start it the next wk after.but thinking it will be too late.what happens with hols then???i have 2wks summer 2 wks winter.so 2wks april till sept,and 2wks oct til march.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I started maternity leave at 28 weeks with the twins. By that time my bump was the same size as a full term singleton pregnancy. I figured not many singletons work until their due date so I did quite well to get that far.

Good luck

Love Country Girl
^daisy^ ^daisy^ ^daisy^

·
Registered
289 Posts
Evening ladies

I finished work at 32 wks, took four weeks annual leave which I saved up and started maternity leave at 36wks.  I was convinced I would have had the twins by then, but they didn't come until 38+1wks!
If they had arrived before 36wks, my work were happy to carry any unused leave over to when I returned.  It may be worth you finding out if your companies do the same, no-one wants to lose their holidays!

I couldn't have worked any longer than 32wks, even though I had an easy problem free pregnancy and a desk job.

Hope we have a decent summer so you get to enjoy your short rest before little ones arrive!

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
just to throw in my bit

i was meant to go on til 29 weeks and then take a weeks annual leave (i sat behind a computer all day, but my job is very stressful) however I ended up self certing at 28 weeks coz of real problems with my back and general fatigue and other issues that come with a twin pregnancy. I was also struggling to fit my bump behind the wheel of my car....by 33 weeks it was deffo a squash! :)

I'm still sitting here waiting for the arrival of our two, at 35+3, but I can honestly say I don't regret going that early at all.

I've worked too hard to get this far and it wasnt worth risking anything just for the sake of a job!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi,
I left work at 33 weeks and the girls arrived at 36 weeks. However, I lived and worked within a 5-10 minute drive and sat behind a desk all day so it was quite OK. I no way would have lasted if I'd needed to commute on public transport! It was hard enough walking from the car park to my desk!
Jane
xx

·
Premium Member
24,203 Posts
Oh thanks ladies  :)

Mudgie thats interesting to know  ??? thanks hun, my only worry is getting signed off i wont get paid  :-\

G

·
Janis18 said:
Hi,
I left work at 33 weeks and the girls arrived at 36 weeks. However, I lived and worked within a 5-10 minute drive and sat behind a desk all day so it was quite OK. I no way would have lasted if I'd needed to commute on public transport! It was hard enough walking from the car park to my desk!
Jane
xx
Pretty much what I did - I finished at 34 weeks but I worked 5 mins by car from home. Ditto the comment about public transport!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have to get a bus to and from work everyday.so thats a 10min walk to bus station,15 min bus journey to work and same back.im thinking 32wks now.but work are funny with hols.summer hols i could only get end of july off and wk begin 18th aug.if i start mleave 1st aug i would miss a wk hol.if you dont book hol you lose it in my work,its a bloomin pain ^bigbad^ so if i start 1st aug i will lose 3wks hol me thinks  ^bigbad^ :mad:

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Hayley - I am taking maternity leave from 35 weeks but i am taking 6 weeks holiday (whole years worth) before that and going at 29 weeks (20th june) because i think i will be nackered by then. Also i intend to take 1 year off after the birth and you cant roll holiday into another leave year (our leave year runs april-march). If i took the maternity leave from say 37 weeks but the babies came at 35 i would lose those 2 weeks of holls (technically although my work not too mean and may have let me keep it). You are entitled to accrue your normal annual leave entitlement during maternity leave so if you are entitled to 4 weeks a year and you are taking maternity leave up to say end of march? then you can take the 4 weeks before your maternity leave starts as you have to take within that year. Does that make sence? Talk to your employer hun coz i don't think you can lose your hols its your entitlement and providing you tack it on to one ed of your maternity leave they will have to cover you for that period anyway so its easier for them theoretically.

Here is info about your entitlement...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/Parentalleaveandpay/DG_10039631

Also not that its probably any use to you if your employer make you take leave in 2 week lumps but when i had DD i saved most of my leave (as was only taking 5 months off with her coz entitlrement was less 8 years ago :mad:) and then when i was due to return to work i used my leave up 2 x days per week for 6 weeks and 1 day per week for another 6 weeks (total 18 days) because i went back to work fulltime after DD (going back only p/t this time around) so this way i was broken back in gently and those days took me up until our christmas holidays so it meant i didn't start back fulltime until the new year which was nice.

^hugme^

Post contains unconfirmed link - Fertility Friends not responsible for content

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.