Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering when everyone had there twins, my partner works out the country in the oil industry.  We had both planned to give up work at 31 wks, dont want him coming off to early as he gets paid by the day but also dont want him missing it.

I am 27 weeks just now and not very big at all, things are going well now feel healthy (apart from when I am being sick or have braxton hicks)

I know everyone is different but just looking to see what the average time is

·
Registered
937 Posts
You'll get lots of different replies to this but my two were delivered by elective caesarean (because of the position of Twin 2) at 39 weeks. I had no Braxton Hicks or contractions and Twin 1's head wasn't engaged so I have no idea when they'd have arrived naturally.

All the best.

Jules

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi there

I also went to 39 weeks, and again also had caesarian - basically because doc was reluctant to induce (not a good idea with twins apparently) and I was HUGE! I couldn't bear it any longer!

I'm pretty sure that me and jules are an exception tho, I think many twins arrive around 36 weeks.

Hang on in there if you can!

Nicky

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Mine arrived at 36 weeks, Twin 1 engaged breech and consultant was worried I would go into labour naturally and require an emergency section.  So elective section for me - was terribly dissapointed at the time but in hindsight it was a great birth experience. 

Lord knows how the clever ladies above went to 39 weeks, I was crawling around on my hands and knees disabled by sciatica, spd and just being enormous - couldn't actually fit in my own bath!!!

xx

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi, Mine were born at 36wks - by a normal delivery, Twin 1 was head down from quite early on, twin 2 was transversed and had to be "turned" & pulled out feet first!!

I was induced because they hadn't grown from the 32wk scan - placenta had had enough!

Elizabeth was 4lb 10oz & Cameron was 3lb 15oz, neither went into SCBU or needed any assistance, they just went into a hot cot for one night.

I was big, but not huge (I'm only 5ft 3in and put on just over 1 stone) and had a brill pg really, with only minor niggles towards the end. 

I stopped work at 32 wks, taking 2 wks annual leave then started maternity leave at 34wks

Good Luck

Love Becca xx

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Hi

I had a natural delivery. I did feel pressured to have a c section by some people, but thankfully I had a briliant and experienced midwife who just let me go with it. I didn't have an epidural either. (SOme consultants like to "pop" one in "just in case") Twin 1 was head down and had been since 21 weeks, and Twin 2 was delivered breech. Both were absolutely fine. I was 36 weeks at the time. I was huge and very uncomfortable from about 20 weeks really. I stopped work at about 28 weeks I think it was.

My midwife told me to have a bag packed from 28 weeks. I think the majority of women give birth between 32 and 37 weeks. Of course some manage to get further on which is brilliant but I think if you expect to go to about 35 weeks, anything over that is a bonus :)

Good luck

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi

My waters broke at 37&4, which i was glad about as they were going to induce me at 38 weeks. Both twins were head down and I tried for a natural delivery, but after almost 24 hours I couldn't get past 8cm dilated so we had to have an emergency c-section. The c-section & recovery was miles easier than I thought it would be so with hindsight I wish I'd gone for an elective but I really wanted to know what contractions/labour etc felt like.

Smudge

·
Registered
389 Posts
I gave birth naturally at 37+2wks, Twin 1 was delivered normally and Twin 2 was delivered breech.  I was absolutely huge and the hospital agreed to induce me early because of my size (I'd went from 9 stone to 13 stone) and because the babies were a good size.  I also had braxton hicks from about 18 weeks which worried me but it was my second pregnancy.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hi

I had my girls at 35wks because I had preaclampsia(sp) and so had emergency c section

They were both fine and Ruby was first she weighed 5lb13 and Amber 5lb3

They are both huge now, cant really believe they were so small and prem

Good Luck with the birth of your twins

With twins there are no real rules other than they are more prone to come early BUT not always

God Bless
Sarah

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hi

I was supposed to be having a natural birth, as everything was going fine, but ended up going into labour suddenly at 30 weeks and had emengency c section because Brooke had somehow managed to stretch her leg right out and get her foot in the way of Blakes head down exit.  ??? ( i guess she wanted to be first!!!)

Dont let this scare you though, its very unusual to go into labour this early.

Although i did have my bag packed ready from 26 weeks.......

S
xx

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi

My twins were born at 38 weeks + 4 days - spontaneous labour - I was due to be induced the next day.

I was lucky to have a natural delivery as both were head-down.

7lb 0z & 7lb 11oz.

I also had a fairly stress-free pregnancy - hope everything continues well for you.

Lots of love

Sal xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
841 Posts
37 weeks.  Normal delivery (broke my waters to speed things up as blood pressure a bit wobbly).

HJG

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Mine were born at 38+2, waters were broken to kick start labour. Normal delivery.

I worked at home from 28w-37w ... wan't realy huge.. all was well except I got mild pre-eclampsia the last week

G

·
Hi there,
I was induced at 38+2 (stopped work at 34 weeks, just in case!).  I was lucky as both were head down and heartbeats were very stable on the monitors, I had a natural birth albeit assisted by forceps and ventouse.
Constant morning sickness from 8-18 weeks aside, I didn't have too many pregnancy related problems.  My blood pressure did go up a bit at the end (well for me, it was still 'normal' according to the doctors) due to mamas and papas messing up my order.  Only really got the hands and feet swelling from about 34 weeks or so.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi,

I had mine at 34+1. I had an urgent elective c section but they were gonna come then anyway as I started going in to labour that morning! Summer (twin 1) hadn't grown much since 32wks and was on the small side according to scans and was hard to measure coz she was all squashed up and pushed into my back. Also, I couldn't feel her movements so they decided to whip them out.

Summer was breech and the smaller of the 2 so as she was twin 1 there was never really any chance of me having them naturally.

I was fine during my pregnancy apart from very bad morning sickness and mild spd. I wasn't very big either until I got absolutely huge at about 31wks!!!

Good luck!!!

Surferchick xxx

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
I had my boys at 28 weeks and my girls at 36+4.  Both standard vaginal deliveries (although with a lot more pain relief for the second lot ;D )

Best of luck!

xx Clare

·
Registered
669 Posts
i had an e c section at 38w +2 days as they were breech all the was through, was sure they would come earlier as im only 5ft 2 and was huge!! but they werent budging  ;D
lisa

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hiya,

I had my twins at 39 weeks - vaginal delivery. Had been in early labour for a few days but they broke my waters the night before to start things off. William was head down and arrived first then Charlotte arrived 34 mins later, she was breech & came out feet first!

Good luck,

Liz
x

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi
My waters broke at 35 plus 3, but i ended up having emergency section as twin 1 was transverse.
JJ

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
almost 39 weeks.  induced (they don't like to go over 38 weeks here in australia).  very short labour, both head down so natural delivery.  epidural 'just in case' , though no drugs, but not required in the end.  7lb 4, and 6lb.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts