Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of guidance re changing the teats on bottles!!

When should and i do this? Is there any way of me knowing?

We are still using the newborn ones but it says on the guide to go to the next ones when Katie is a month old which she is, but i not sure if i need to or not!!

Sorry for waffling on!!

Thanks muchly

x x x

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
We had 0-3 month teats, I changed up to 3-6 month ones when he was about 10 weeks old.

Two reasons

1, He was sucking and sucking and sucking and tiring himself completely before getting all his milk down him, he just wanted it more quickly than it would come out

2, We started on gaviscon, which thickened the milk a little and the holes in the teats were FAR too small.

I think if you are feeding happily with the teats you have then keep going on them for a bit. If Katie's getting frustrated at the slowness of the milkflow then move up a grade :)

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
When they are taking a long time to feed and/or tiring on a feed.  don't go too much by age. Isabel was on fast flow which said 6months + by 3 months as was taking over half an hr for a feed so HV told me change them up, where others were still happy on newborn teats.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Hi Lizzy we swapped ours with in the first week as he was falling asleep on the first 1s it was to hard for him to suck and it made him very sleepy. So the MD told us to swap.

I'm sure she will be fine. Also i read she is windy our HV told us to buy dentanox colic drops and OMG what a god send.lol They worked instantly

Good luck Hun

Kelli

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My HV said that the smallest size teats should be banned as they are such hard work for babies.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Also it depends on the brand you are using. Some size 1's or 0m are for ebm or water only - fm can be too thick  ;) In my experience Avent and Mam are like this.

R is on Tommy Tippee cltn bottles and still on size 1 but unbeknown to me, he was using a size 2 teat in amongst the ones we had on the go and never noticed the difference  ^idiot^ ;D

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
oh I never knew about the size 1's Shelly thanks for that. We have Avent bottles now so was going to get some teats in case I can't BF new baby so will get the next size

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ladies for your replies!!

I think i shall continue with the teats we are using and just keep an eye on Katie! She doesnt seem to be struggling and feeds only take 15 mins!!

Thanks again!

x x x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
We have the avent bottles and swopped L at 5 weeks to size 2 as he was getting frustrated with the size 1's

If her feeds start taking longer, then maybe worth thinking about changing the teats

With L i just sterilsed one just to see if he would drink ok from it, when he did i bagged the others up  ;D

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
My HV also said moving to a bigger teat can help with wind cos if they have to suck too hard they take in too much air.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh i might try Katie on a number 2 just to see how she gets on!!

Thanks ladies  ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Gosh, I found the opposite, we moved up sizes very slowly ... M had EBM in bottles and we used a size 1, then he went up to a 2 at about 6 months because I didn't realise I should move up a size!!  :-[  When he gave up BF and went on to formula, at some point around maybe 9 months I tried him on a size 3 and then a size 4 but we had to go back to 3s as the stuff just poured out of them and all over him, and he never went up a size after that and he didn't give up bottles til past a year!

C x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts