Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I would like to ask you some questions regarding Clexane and baby aspirin.

I am currently at 32weeks with twins pregnancy. This is my third attempt of ICSI after suffering a missed miscarriage. I did 2 blood tests 12weeks apart and found that I am positive for Lupus Anticoagulant Antibody and Anti Cardioolipin Antibody and diagnosed as having antiphospholipid syndrome.

I am on Clexane and baby aspirin at the moment. My consultant told me to have this treatment until I start to labour. However, I have researched internet and have mixed reports so I am confused and insecure. My consultant is a twins expert, but not haematology expert. My friend who is in a similar situation with a different consultant was told to come off the same medication at 34 weeks. Some people are told to switch from LMWH to normal heparin as their half life is shorter. Apparently, if the drugs are still in your body system, there is a risk when you have epidural or spinal anaesthetics. As twins pregnancy tends to have early delivery compare to singltons, I am worried any risk mentioned above. Some people have GA to avoid the risk, but I would like to see my babies born straightaway.

I am currently seeing the consultant every 4 weeks, so next one will be at 34 weeks. At the 30 weeks scan, both babies are growing at normal range.

Is there anyone on this board who is also on Clexane/Aspirin? If so, how are you advised by your consultant? After being off from the drugs, do you have close monitoring to identify IUGR or blood flow by colour Doppler?  Also, I found that after caesarean, some people were told to come back on Clexane to prevent DVT. My consultant has not mentioned this yet but has anyone told how long you will be after birth (eg 6 weeks)?

I would like to collate as much as info till next consultation. So any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hi,
I was on Aspirin until 36 weeks. Don't know if that helps. Have not been on Clexane though. Carrying a singleton though so was not expected to be early.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I had to continue aspirin throughout the pregnancy and beyond  basically am still on it (and had an epidural first time). I did have regular scans and colour dopplers but that was throughout and wasn't linked to taking aspirin or not.

Betty

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi,
I continued with clexane until 8 weeks after Jimmy was born. I'm not sure what was officially supposed to happen just before the birth (was meant to have a planned section) because I went into labour early and last dose was just under 24 hours before my section (with spinal). I had quite a lot of bruising which they said may have been linked to the clexane but otherwise no problems. I restarted the clexane a few hours after his birth. I was told that the first few weeks after the birth were the most important time for me to take clexane as this is the riskiest time for blood clots. If you are taken off it before the birth then I would push for regular doppler scans (I had these as well) as these are the best way of picking up any problems and are much better than ordinary growth scans.
Collyx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BikerGirl, Betty, Colly

Thank you for sharing your experiences. As I strongly prefer to have c-section for the safty of the twins, it is very important to know the risk involved and proper care after the operation as Colly mention that time is the most critical time to have DVT. I hope I can discuss further with my consultant at the next appo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi I have a possible thrombophilia protein S problem and have been on clexane 40mg  and aspirin 75mg since egg collection. The baby has been fine all the way through and the initial decision (taken at the IVF clinic) to stay on both until 34wks has been stuck to by NHS consultant (although I think they aren't sure if it's doing me any good or not!). Anyway I took my last dose today. I was told that clexane takes 1 day to leave your system but aspirin is  days.
Good luck
xxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts