Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies

I am still finiding where everything is on this fab website, but was hoping someone could help me.  I am on second IVF cycle.  First resulted in 15 low grade embies, 2 at ET, 1 BFP, but had to terminate at 13 weeks - baby had Down's Syndrome, which we thought we would cope with, but also had other problems that showed up on scan and CVS which made it not viable.  It was heartbreaking, but we picked ourselves up and now we are on our second IVF cycle.  I got 9 eggs on 13.06.08, only 5 of which fertilized.  Tomorrow, I get the phone call to say if I have any embryos.  But after what happened last time, I am feeling very negative about the outcome - I think all my eggs are poor quality due to my age.  That seems to be most likely cause of last time.  So I am already expecting the dreaded phonecall to be very very bad news.... So I want to be prepared and start to look forward, as I'm not ready to give up yet.  Egg Donation is next route.  My sis has offered, but she is even older than me, so I'm not sure that's a good idea.  So how do I find out the options?  Someone said there are clinics in Spain, but how does it work - do I need to go there for a big chunk of time?  Also, does anyone know if Lister does ED?  If so, how does it work?  Is there a long waiting list???

I hope you are all getting where you want to be and look forward to hearing from some of you.  I thought I knew everything there was to know about IVF, but this is a whole new ballgame!!

Thanks in advance.

Laura

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I'm going for my first appt at IVI Barcelona next week for DE.  Many girls also go to Reprofit in Czech who are cheaper and very good. Maybe post this on the treatment abroad thread and the girls there will see it and reply.  Best of luck with this cycle
L x

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi Laura
IF egg donation is your next option, and it may not be, do take time to think about what your choices might mean for a child.  It is true that clinics abroad have many donors, are cheaper and often very efficient and friendly too, but donors are anonymous and you may have very little information about them.  In contrast to popular myth, egg donation IS still available in the UK and by going for this option you are giving any child the choice about have considerable information about and potentially contact with their donor when they are 18 or over.  All the evidence is that this information and choice is important for a large proportion of donor conceived people.  It may be that UK treatment is not a possible option for you and that you do go abroad, but taking time to think through the consequences of doing so is important, even if this just means that you are aware of issues that you may need to manage with a child later. Have a look at our web site www.dcnetwork.org for further info and personal stories.
Olivia
PS: The Lister does do egg donation.  Talk with them about their waiting lists.  People on this board seem to have mixed experiences of how long it/they are.  But there are many other places as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts