Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im due back to work end of aug, and if i can takl my manager into letting me do 4 days a week it will mean putting L in nursery for 1 day.

Not sure when you have your return to work chat? does anyone know?

But im starting to look at nurseries and waiting lists etc, as dont want to leave it till the last min, but what should i be asking?

Its all a little daunting to me, so some advice would be great  :)

Nikki xx

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Hi Nikki hun, gosh, Lewis is growing so fast ::)

My biggest advice would be to read the Ofsted reports - many are good, but still satisfactory in some areas. Reports dated after April 2005 are the most detailed and beneficial for potential parents, although many nurseries that are graded satisfactory still may be good in some areas, but breaching a paperwork regualtion or something so they have to be satisfactory at inspection IYKWIM!

Id visit as many as possible, and you'll get the feeling when you find 'the one'.

Presumably your little one will start in a baby room, and in this room you should expect to see birth to three matters planning or equivilant based on childrens individual needs (but this is changing to the Early Years Foundation Stage from September this year). Either way, the planning should ideally be personalised to suit each child so that his development is being encouraged in all areas at his pace. Lots of tactile and sensory experiences should be available and lots of easily accessible equipment - floor based. Erm, comfy chair for staff to sit in for feeding - parental preference on sleeping arrangements - eg in a sleep room or in cots in the main play space, depending on logistics of the building.

Erm, at least 1 member of staff to 3 chn under 2 years - thats the minimum requirements, so anything over that is a bonus! Settling in sessions may help you decide for sure. Read the Ofsted report, speak to the person in charge of the baby room to see if you like them! Even if you are not keen on the manager of the nursery or whoever shows you round, its generally not them that are working with the kids so try and keep an open mind.

Generally the busier nurseries with the longer waiting lists are the ones that are most popular. You are doing the right thing getting in there early!

Hope that helps a bit - any other questions, just let me know :)

X

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hi Nikki

Trust your instincts too, there's a lot to be said for them!

One question I would ask is whether there is full continuity of care with babies.  Generally, all children have a key worker, but find out how much that key worker actually does with the child or whether other carers get involved too.  Studies have shown babies thrive much better when there's more one-on-one care rather than seeing a new face every now and again.  Make sure the ratio of babies:carers is kept to by the same staff, not a rolling rota.

Even though Matilda will be going to the same nursery that Imogen already attends, I'm keeping an eye on how the baby room has changed (if at all) with the introduction of the new maternity leave laws.  Many baby rooms will be a lot quieter now as so many babies won't be starting until 9mths or even going into the baby room at all, rather than 6mths and I'm wondering how that's affected how nurseries utilise their space/staffing and overall care of the tiny babies. 

If you have Lewis in a good routine, see if they will keep him to it or want Lewis to change to their own routine?  For one day a week, it might not be worth having his own routine upset, however if you're happy for him to change, get a copy of their routine to help see if you can adjust your own slightly beforehand to help make the transition easier.

Claire
x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im going to look at a nursery this afternoon, thanks for your advice  :-*

I have my list of questions ready  ;D

Nikki xx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
How did you get on Nikki?

S xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the nursery was lovely, the staff were lovely and they answered all my questions for me. I was all up for going home discussing it with dp untill...........  ;D

I got myself all worked up and upset  :'( After remebering and telling dp that there was little boy there who was stood up and one of the carers said 'oh he's dying to walk across the room' (child couldnt walk but was at the standing stage) so of course got myself all upset, that what happens if thats Lewis and miss it? Id never forgive myself and i know it would haunt me.

So we sat down with the finaces to see if we could sort anything out, even if i dropped down to 3 days so i wouldnt have to put L in nursery i wouldnt be any better off after fuel costs  :(

So my plan of action is to go and see my manager friday and just see out of interest what he wouldlet me do, also pop into my local and see if i could possibly transfer. that would be a better option as it would be a 10min walk to work, it would just mean dropping a postion which im willing to do.

My other option would be to take another 3 months unpaid and see if i can find a completely different job in my local area.

I think after how i got myself so worked up last night, i know deep down i cant put him nursery yet. Maybe in a few years, maybe not, but my heart wont let me do it just yet  :'(

Nikki xx

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Nikki,

My DS took his very 1st steps at nursery, but I never think about those steps.
The important ones are 1st ones he took in front of me & DH. As far as I'm concerned those are his 1st, not the 3 steps he took earlier in the afternoon  ;)

I hope you can work something out you are happy with.

x

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
No advice as never used a nursery but just had to say what a cutie Lewis is!!! xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts