Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just need to check I am doing ok as find this bf lark very confusing at times!

My gorgeous boy is six weeks old and is 9lbs 3 ozs.  He is putting on 10ozs a week. He feeds every three hours day and night and was totally breastfeed until last week. We introduced a bottle for the ten o'clock feed first with expressed milk which he took really well. from dh. Last night we tried a formula at the ten o'clock feed again he seemed happy with it.I was feeding from one breast per feed for half an hour but developed mastitis so now do 15 mins from each breast to make up to the half an hour.

I am not sure if I should be lengthing the time between feeds. He sometimes goes four hours at night and this afternoon has gone for four hours between the last two feeds. Is this ok or is this to long between feeds for a baby of his age and weight. Also how should I build up to dropping  the  night feeds, oh and what is a dream feed?? Is it a feed where they are very sleepy??

Sorry to sound so useless but some guidance on where to go next would be gratefully recieved.

thanks  love star9 x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
not useless at all!

any reason why you are timing the feeds?  mine took about 40 minutes at that age to take a full feed.  yours may take the same, or much less.  you should know if baby has emptied the breast by thelook of the milk.  if it is white and creamy looking, that means he has gotten to the hind milk.  3-4 hours between feeds at that age is fantastic.  i wouldnt try lengthening any more.  i'd leave things a wee while before thinking of trying to structure the night feeds with a view to dropping them. especially as he is going 4 hours sometimes at night.  thats about the best you can hope for for a b.f baby at that age. so well done!

a dream feed is basically the 10.30pm feed.  you pick baby up, without waking, and then offer the bottle (or breast) and they take the feed while they sleep.  worked a treat with my first baby.  didnt work at all with my twins.  the idea is that it fills 'em up 'till morning.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hi Star,

I think you have already had some good advice,
I wouldn't rush just get to get them into a set routine, you will end up cause yourself unnecesaary stress.

As a youngster they need to feed about every three hours, but how long they feed doesn't matter, just keep in mind as long you are getting an average number of wet nappies and your LO is putting on weight you will be fine.

our little one would sleep most of the day and was quite difficult to wake her to feed, and she would feed from one breast per feed and feed for an average of 20-30mins. A had problems in her first week and the wet nappies suddenly stopped. It took about six weeks for her to gain back the weight she had lost with us giving her supplimental feeds of 60ml After she had b/fed as we didn't want to risk my supply. so some of the feeds were ebm, some forumla and some mixed. At eight weeks we were able to drop the suppliments and go back to exclusive b/feeding.

This was our choice to go back to just b/feeding as it worked for us, when A started nursery I expressed for her day bottles.
Now she is still b/feeding - she doesn't seem to want to give it up although we are trying to encourage her to do so. She only gets to feed first thing and at bedtime. [she is now 15months old!]

Check out the website

www.Kellymom.com they have lots of really good advice on all things to do with breast feeding and expressing.

/links

1 - 3 of 3 Posts