Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is the first time I have posted on the during treatment board.  I am halfway through week 2 of downregging and starting to think about the stimming injections next week.

Has anyone tried various injection sites and found either leg or tummy to be less painful.  I am thinking tummy as I have lots of fat there!

Tracey

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I've not looked at the Gonal F pen things that I have in the fridge yet, so I don't know how they compare to my down regging needles, which are quite small. I inject the buserelin in my thigh/hip area which I hardly feel. I doubt I will choose the tummy for any as I feel like it's quite a tender area. Are you down regging with the nasal spray or injection?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am downregging with nasal spray.  When I had the initial appointment they gave the choice and I said 'why on earth would anyone choose to inject over inhale'  Now I am wishing i choose the i
injection.  I find the spray really irritates my nose and makes it run.  I am desperate to blow but have to wait half an hour.

I have the gonal f pens and the needle is very very small.

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Hello Tracey

I injected in my tummy and hardly felt a thing. I used to pinch a bit and inject into that. Then I let go when I was putting the meds in. Some people find an ice cube over the ares first helps

Good luck  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Emma x

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I didn't choose the spray because I knew it would irritate me at this time of year - hayfever  ^daisy^ So without hestitation asked for the injection. I came across a youtube video of someone teaching how to inject with the Gonal F pens. Search youtube for iVF and it should come up. One of the comments said something like don't let go of the clicker when it's still inside your skin as it draws blood back up the needle and wastes a whole pen as it needs to be thrown away!! That must be an expensive mistake  :eek:

I seem to have rambled off the original subject now ....  ;D

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Hi ya

I'm only DRing at the moment but I'm injecting in my tummy - can defo pinch an inch, so that's what I do.  ;)  Feels fine.

I've been given the same size needles for the stims, so they're tiny too  ;)

Good luck x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

I've done 4 fresh IVF cycles now and have always used my tummy as when first started, I'd read that it was less painful (stings less) than stabbing in thigh. I can honestly say that I've never had any problems or pain whilst stimming (using Gonal F pens).

You want to grab a good bit of flesh....at least 5cms away from belly button, towards your waist/hips area (the love handle area if you're like me and have curves ! ;) )....not too far out and not too far towards belly button. Keep the flesh pinched together and jab in the needle (I prefer to do this quickly although others may prefer to do a little slower) at a 90 degree angle...so straight in. Slowly push in the solution.....and once all solution is in, keep the needle still inserted for a few seconds (keeping flesh pinched together at all times)......then slowly withdraw the needle (if you pull needle out too quickly you may find you "nick" the skin and it bleeds as the needles are fine and sharp. Only once needle has been taken out do you let go of the skin.

Honestly, I've done all my subcutaneous injections (Gonal F, Pregnyl/Ovitrelle, Clexane) like this and not had problems.

As Elle (i love snow) has mentioned, you can find some clips on You Tube if you have a search....here's a few I found ages ago and posted on here for someone else...

and this may also be helpful...

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/g/gonal-f.htm

and this is for injecting clexane but it's also subcutaneous so gives you an idea....

http://www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/patientinformation/a&e/how_to_inject_clexane.htm

Good luck
Natasha

/links

1 - 7 of 7 Posts