Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi......... :)

I keep hearing that pineapple juice is good for implantation but it cannot be fresh or made from concentrate so which kind do we buy, can anyone help?

Tracyxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,527 Posts
Hi
Fresh pineapple juice is ok, but not 'made from concentrate'

good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,783 Posts
Its generally found in the chilled section of supermarkets. I used waitrose own.

Best of luck x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Asda & tesco do their own too - you will find it in the chiller section (must not be from concentrate though)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,432 Posts
Tracy - DH and I have both become addicted to Morrisons own chilled pineapple juice with lime.  It's not from concentrate and it's yummy.
Lots of luck with your 2ww honey.
X
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,093 Posts
Hi

It doesn't matter which pineapple juice you drink.

Sorry to contradict Roo67 but it really makes little to no difference !

Squeezed or pressed juice is preferable just because it's fresh.........."not from concentrate" and "from concentrate" are fine too.  All concentrated juice is, is where it's been freeze dried at source for exporting and then rehydrated with water on arrival for selling.

It's eating fresh pineapple that should be avoided as it contains the enzyme Bromelain which may cause uterine contractions...although you'd need to eat a fair amount !  This enzyme is destroyed during processing which is why juice is fine.

Pineapple juice contains a smaller amount of selenium which helps encourage a healthy womb lining and subsequently may help with implantation.......but actually the amount of selenium isn't that great and there are loads of other foods with much higher levels....and brazil nuts contain some of the highest.

This question is such a frequently asked question.....please do use the search tool when you have any queries as you'll usually find all your concerns answered.

Take care
Natasha
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
Can i ask Natasha - Is it just the selenium in pineapple, is that why people recommend it?  I only ask because i am allergic to pineapple and cant have it at all (not that mind i find pineapple juice like drinking vinegar and lemons together ^zombie^ and eating the stuff well... you can imagine) but would be happier if i could substitute it for something else that would do just as good a job if not better  :)

Bekie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Pinapple juice gives me really bad mouth ulcers, so I had brazil nuts instead yum yum, but far more fattening....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,093 Posts
*Bee* said:
Can i ask Natasha - Is it just the selenium in pineapple, is that why people recommend it? I only ask because i am allergic to pineapple and cant have it at all (not that mind i find pineapple juice like drinking vinegar and lemons together ^zombie^ and eating the stuff well... you can imagine) but would be happier if i could substitute it for something else that would do just as good a job if not better :)

Bekie
Hi

Pineapple does contain selenium but not huge amounts....brazil nuts have a much higher quotiant of selenium, as do many other foods.

Pineapple does contain manganese as well but again, this can be found in lots of other foods...manganese may be beneficial to fertility.

Selenium is an antioxident and can help improve and promote a healthy womb lining, hence why some believe it to aid implantation......but you can get selenium from so many other foods even if you can't drink pineapple for whatever reason (allergic, can't stand the taste etc).

I honestly wouldn't be concerned if you're not drinking pineapple juice....just ensure a good healthy, balanced diet.

Good luck
Natasha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Hi
I thought its the bromelain that is important with implantation. I had 5 ivfs -all BFNs and then took Bromelain tablets(200mg) during my 6th ivf-I had a BFP but m/c (found I had immune issues) With the 7th cycle (DE) I took Bromelain and immune treatment and subsequently had a BFP and a dd who is 3.5yrs. I was told on another website to try Bromelain as its helpful in implantation. I can only drink so much Pineapple Juice. As for Selenium, its in most allround vits and minerals.
However, my BFP probably had to do with the immunetreatment and not the Bromelain.
LOL
Danni  xxx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,093 Posts
Danni said:
Hi
I thought its the bromelain that is important with implantation. I had 5 ivfs -all BFNs and then took Bromelain tablets(200mg) during my 6th ivf-I had a BFP but m/c (found I had immune issues) With the 7th cycle (DE) I took Bromelain and immune treatment and subsequently had a BFP and a dd who is 3.5yrs. I was told on another website to try Bromelain as its helpful in implantation. I can only drink so much Pineapple Juice. As for Selenium, its in most allround vits and minerals.
However, my BFP probably had to do with the immunetreatment and not the Bromelain.
LOL
Danni xxx
Hi

Bromelain is contraindicated during pregnancy as it may cause uterine contractions.

I have read of some women who say that it helps with implantation....from all I've ever read (and also told by a pharmacist who'd actually been through IVF as well as my acupuncturist), bromelain should be avoided. This is also one of the reasons why some asian cultures believe that by eating pineapple it can induce labour......some say it's an old wives tale but in some asian cultures this is still considered as something to help promote labour if a woman is overdue (again, this was from the pharmacist who I was chatting to, who happened to be asian and had successfully gone through IVF). Bromelain can be an anti-inflammatory which may be good for women with endo, PMS and similar....but not if pg (so also not during 2ww).

http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/bromelain.cfm

http://www.thorne.com/media/SB315.pdf

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-bromelain.html

http://www.nutritional-supplements-health-guide.com/benefits-of-bromelain.html

http://www.vitalnutrients.net/hq_handouts2.asp?VitaminName=Allergy%20Support

If in any doubt, it's always best to discuss this with someone qualified such as your consultant or a good herbalist/nutrionalist who has knowledge with fertility/pregnancy

Take care
Natasha

PS....this related to Bromelain and not drinking pineapple juice where the enzyme bromelain is destroyed through heat/processing.

/links
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,400 Posts
Pineapple Juice IS NOT SAFE... its fine for down regging as will promote a heavy period but in large amounts can cause miscarriage. Don't take the risk.

Please read the following link... and I have found lots of similar information on other sites as well.

http://www.babysnark.com/ttc-supplements/ttc-supplements.asp

Pineapple Juice

Usage: There is an old wives' tale floating around that pineapple juice will help a fertilized egg implant. However, pineapple juice is not recommended for use in TTC and/or pregnancy. In large doses, it can cause uterine contractions and bring on spontaneous abortions (miscarriage).

Recommended Dosage: Drink only in small quantities, if at all.

Food Sources: Pineapples.

Side Effects: Large doses may cause uterine contractions, miscarriage, vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash, very heavy menstrual periods. Unripe pineapple is poisonous, causing excessive diarrhea.


/links
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,093 Posts
Kehlan said:
Pineapple Juice IS NOT SAFE... its fine for down regging as will promote a heavy period but in large amounts can cause miscarriage. Don't take the risk.

Please read the following link... and I have found lots of similar information on other sites as well.

http://www.babysnark.com/ttc-supplements/ttc-supplements.asp

Pineapple Juice

Usage: There is an old wives' tale floating around that pineapple juice will help a fertilized egg implant. However, pineapple juice is not recommended for use in TTC and/or pregnancy. In large doses, it can cause uterine contractions and bring on spontaneous abortions (miscarriage).

Recommended Dosage: Drink only in small quantities, if at all.

Food Sources: Pineapples.

Side Effects: Large doses may cause uterine contractions, miscarriage, vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash, very heavy menstrual periods. Unripe pineapple is poisonous, causing excessive diarrhea.


/links
Sorry to contradict but pineapple juice is fine......as per my previous post, it's eating fresh pineapple that should be avoided because of the bromelain. The enzyme is destroyed during processing. It is the bromelain that can cause uterine contractions.

That extract from babysnark has been doing the rounds for years and isn't completely accurate I'm afraid.

It's nothing to do with old wives tale of helping the fertilised egg implant.....the reason why many suggest drinking pineapple juice is because of the selenium.....and selenium helps promote a healthy womb lining and subsequently may aid implantation this way.....however, also as mentioned, pineapple doesn't contain an awful lot of selenium anyway. Pineapple does contain manganese which is also good.

You would have to drink huge amounts of pineapple juice to cause miscarriage and heavy periods........in fact, you'd have to eat an awful lot of pineapple which does contain bromelain to induce labour too but this can be a risk.

The other thing to remember though is having too much vitamin C may not be a good thing either as it can sometimes effect production of progesterone.....

......everything in moderation I say.....and a small glass or 2 of pineapple juice can't do any harm....admittedly I'm not medically qualified but I've read enough on the internet and in books as well as numerous threads on this website discussing pineapple juce to draw the conclusion that it's fine......

These threads discussing pineapple seem to be so frequent they're appearing at least once or twice a week so perhaps have a little search using the search tool before posting as much of the information is repeated many many times :)

Take care
Natasha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Hi
im now probably boring with this pineapple thing but can I buy the cans of pineapple rings and juice them in a blender?
Dannixxx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,093 Posts
Danni said:
Hi
im now probably boring with this pineapple thing but can I buy the cans of pineapple rings and juice them in a blender?
Dannixxx
Yes ! :) In fact, the pineapple rings in tins have most likely been through some form of pasturisation process anyway.....which would've destroyed the bromelain enzyme....

....but yep, juicing them in the blender is fine.....added with some coconut and yoghurt...maybe a bit of apple juice....yum smoothie....

....sorry, can you tell I'm hungry....must go get some toast from the cafe ! ;D

Take care
Natasha x
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top