Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Not sure is this is the best place to post this question ...

My son is just starting to take his first steps, not yet fully walking but it clearly won't be long!

What do you think are the best reins to buy when he is just starting to walk and wobbly on his feet?

Any experiences and opinions gratefully received  :)

Many thanks
DE

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
To begin with I would get the short ones like these:

http://www.mothercare.com/Clippasafe-Harness-Navy-Pale-Blue/dp/B000MR46II/sr=1-2/qid=1291932531/ref=sr_1_2/277-1762891-2060525?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core

With these you can sort of hold them up if you see what I mean to stop them falling to the ground.

Once he is more steady on his feet I would get a Littlelife rucksack:
http://www.littlelife.co.uk/html/toddler_daysacks/animal-turtle.html

These rucksacks are great they have a clip across the front so they cant take it off and a long strap like a dog lead ;D I used one for DD until she was about 3 and we were going somewhere crowded. She always liked to put a little snack in hers. The strap comes off so she can use the bag on its own now.

·
Registered
930 Posts
personally I am not keen on reins - I was lucky (and I know not everyone has the same experience) in that both of mine were happy to hold my hand when out and about.  However, if you do think reins are the way to go then I would also recommend the littlelife rucksacks.

DC

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks girls  :-*

Delores - reins are definately the way to go with my little chap - I just know he will be running off as soon as he can and my nerves will just not take it  ;D

Jane1604 - thanks, yes I kind of wanted to be able to stop him falling so those reins look just the job  ;)  I like the sound of the 'dog lead' type function on the rucksack ones too for when he is a bit more confident on his feet  ;D  Thanks for your help.

Peacelily - HELLO!!  Hope you are ready for Giggler's birthday  :eek:  I think with the reins being so cheap, I will just buy a 'pair' (?) as I think Wriggler will just chew on them and I will worry about yours getting wrecked  ;D  Actually, I do need to give you back the activity centre which was a God send  :-* .  He has loved it but is getting too big for it now though and just moans as he wants to be moving about  ::) .  Probably best to give it to you in the New Year rather than bring it to the party as you will have lots of presents to take back etc?  If you need it sooner then I'm happy to bring it along to his birthday  :)  The snow suit has been great by the way and has meant that he can go on the swings without getting frozen stiff  :)

Thanks all of you
DE  and Wriggler x

·
Registered
541 Posts
Have just got my boys Little Life ruck sacks - they love them!  Definitely money well spent for us.  :)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
We have a Little Life rucksack too, and it's great - not so at this time of year over big coats etc though  ::) .

DE - I'm so pleased the activity centre was useful, albeit briefly.  Could you hang on to it until the New Year and we'll meet up then?  I definitely don't have an immediate need for it  ;D .  Glad the snowsuit is useful too.  Am I ready for his birthday...yes, but party, no!  He has a nasty coughing virus at the moment which I think I'm just going down with too, so I hope he'll be better in time  :-\ .

Love to the 3 of you  :-*  xxx

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Sweetums, I expect you would definately need reins with having twin boys  ;D

PL - what a shame you are going down with a virus, hope you can fight it off quickly so you are fit for his party.  Wriggler has just got over a cold.  It kept him awake a bit at night as his nose was blocked  :( .  I read somewhere that kids get 8 colds a year  :p  It's awful this time of year for getting colds and they pick up every germ going and take it back home to Mummy don't they  ::) .  Bring on the summer ...... it's the shortest day very soon so the sun will be here before we know it  ^sunny^

See you soon.

DE xx

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Dame Edna

ahhh your little boy sounds a scamp just like our Spike! They are fab aren't they!!

I just bought a cheap (cheaper than most as I know reins are not expensive) pair of reins off Ebay I think they were 1.99 delivered! (last of the big spenders here!! - I wanted to see how we got on with them first).

have a good weekend
love
T
xx

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Tarango  ^wave^

I've got the 'harness' style ones on order for collection at Argos tomorrow.  They are the style recommended by Jane1604 and Peacelily and the reviews say they stop the child crashing to the floor if they stumble  ;)

Yes, Wriggler is a lovable 'scamp' and has unfortunately just discovered that drawers open  ::) .    He has been emptying DVD's all over the living room floor today and then climbing in the drawer to reach up to the TV  ;D  .... it's funnier now  that he is tucked up in his cot asleep  ;D

Love to Spike  :-*
x

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hiya,

How are you getting on with the reins? Spike is getting used to his - slowly!

our 2 'scamps' sound very similar!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  boys eh!  ;D

We have just done up our kitchen and Spike has grown a fascination with the washing machine, cupboards and drawers! And he has been chewing on his cot ... and trying to climb the tree .....

^hugme^  to Wriggler

xxx

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Tarango

Wriggler is not yet 'ready' for the reins as he has only taken maximum 19 steps and is really still a 'crawler'.  However, he was standing unaided for quite a few minutes today so he is definately getting his ballance and I don't *think* it will be too long.  I just wanted to be prepared for when he starts to walk outside!  I bought some 'Lindham' harness style ones from Argos so I can 'catch' him when he wobbles!

Actually, talking of Spike wondering in the kitchen  :)  , I have just bought Wriggler some socks with grips on as when he (*escapes*) through the baby gate to our kitchen to open doors/drawers and cause general mahem ( ;D ) he sometimes slips on our tiled floor  ::)  I think until I can put shoes on him, the socks with grips will come in useful inside !

:eek:  to Spike trying to climb a tree!  You have to watch them so closely don't you !  Love to Spike ...
x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts