Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies :)

I had my first IUI in Denmark a few months ago which gave me a BFN. I am due my next IUI soon but would rather stay in the UK and use British donor sperm.

I know a lot of clinics here use imported sperm but was wondering which ones have their own sperm bank.

Does anyone know?

Thanks x

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Morning Heidi... Sorry it's me again..

My clinic have their own bank, I had the of 5 donors that fitted my criteria.. Think they had a total of 10, felt like I was choosing my sweeties as a girl in a pick a mix shop!!!

I think there's a lot more clinics that do have their own banks now. Where are you based?

xx

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi hbk - I'm based in Edinburgh but willing to travel anywhere in the. UK.

Where was your clinic?

Xx

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Hiya,

Well my clinic is a little far and in the midlands. Look at Midland Fertility Services they are in Aldridge at the moment but moving to Tamworth in Staffordshire which will be brilliant for me as a little nearer for me.

The great think about them is they are a private clinic, they personalise a cycle for you, do all the immunes packages and personally I feel they are one of the best clinics around. I looked at loads before moving from my previous clinic and to be fair not even Care Notts came close.. All the nurses, consultants are amazing and have all the new technologically.

Take a look at their site and the HFEA success results for them x

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hello Heidi,

I am at Herts & Essex fertility clinic and they have their own sperm bank.

I hope you find the clinic that's right for you and your next IUI is successful x

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that ladies.

Looked at both those clinics but sadly they are out of my price range :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
London's Womens Clinic have their own I think?  There's also a clinic in Darlington so a bit closer to Edi than down south!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Heidi I know the price of any IVF treatment is shocking.. I've spent £30,000 on it to date and £25k of that within the NHS who have done nothing but cause me problems and not sorted my hydro tube out.. I had to go to a BMI clinic to get that rectified!!! Now with another £4,500 looming I'm clutching a straws, bank notes and any lose change to pay for it.. Not at all fair is it. xx

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hi Heidi

My clinic (The BMI Priory in Birmingham) don't specifically have their own bank but were able to offer me donor sperm as they had had a recent donor. There was only one and got limited information (hair colour, eye colour, occupation and ethnic group) but all were fine with me so went ahead. They said if I didn't want that one that they could have tried to access some from Birmingham Women's Hospital (which is nearby) as they sometimes have some too but I think it is just as and when they have some in rather than having a bank. My sample was about £400 and because it was 'in-house' if it had needed ICSI following de-frosting then I wouldn't have had to paid the additional costs for it either which was good (but didn't need it in the end anyway).

Hope that helps and good luck!
Bailey
xx

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Heidi,

I have been searching for this exact same thing - going to PM you.

x

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm with Care Manchester, they have their own bank and have been amazing after lots of problems with a previous clinic!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
OH Bailey I went there on sat and saw lovely Dr B!! He is so nice..

He did my lap to remove my tubes.

Congrats on your twins flower.. My goodness that's brilliant. xx

·
Registered
946 Posts
Aw thanks hbkmorris, it was a bit of a surprise but a lovely one and have got to 12 weeks and seen them waving and wriggling around on the scan which was amazing!

I was under Mrs R at the Priory but Mr B did one of my EC's and he was lovely and so is his wife who works there too.

Good luck with your treatment, will keep everything crossed for you xx

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hbk - yip it ain't cheap! You have spent loads. I'm limiting myself to £10k mac and then ill look into adoption. There are other things I want to spend my money on!

Thanks for the replies ladies. I have rang a few clinics today and so far the only ones that have their own sperm bank are:

Birminghams women's hospital - but they don't do IUI on anyone over 37. Shame as they are cheap.

Kings College in London - but they don't have initial appts until November and I don't want to wait that long. Again reasonably priced.

IVF Scotland in Edinburgh - this is my local clinic and cheap conpared to most but Edinburgh is such a small place and I don't like the idea of my child unknowingly bumping into lots of half siblings in the future.

I know some of the big clinics in London have their own banks but the prices are WAY too high!

I'm not sure what to do now. Think I may have to use my local clinic and either import from abroad or try importing from the Birmingjam sperm bank when they open in October.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Manchester Fertility have their own bank. X

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm at CRGW in Cardiff and they have their own bank. £650 for IUI + £495 for donor sperm per treatment. Plus it's not far from the airport if you fly down, and they have a hotel next to the clinic ;D

·
Registered
643 Posts
As jefnerf said before London Women's Clinic have their own bank and you can even look online at the profiles! £850 though, then £150 to transport it to Darlington if having treatment there. Not sure how much IUI is off the top of my head but if you give them a ring they are very helpful.
(Good luck for OTD jefnerf!)xx

·
Registered
244 Posts
jend0906 said:
I'm with Care Manchester, they have their own bank and have been amazing after lots of problems with a previous clinic!
im with care manchester and they have told me i have to import my own and preferably from ESB and i dont like any of their donors so have asked them now what other banks they recommend

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Heidi.. PLEASE don't go to Birmingham Womens Hospital.. That's who messed up my tube clipping (in wrong place and only discovered after having 5 failed cycles of which 4 with them)

I'm only warning you xx

1 - 20 of 24 Posts