Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked after a couple today who had twins after IVF and he was haveing a vasectomy (how lovely for them!).

He said they'd tried 2 goes at IUI which cost 2.5 K on each go.  Is this right?  Can it be funded on the NHS?  It may be the next step for me, but the fact that me and DH have a child together, I suspect, will go against our favour?

How does it all work??

S xx

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Hi

It truly is all down to the PCT area you live in so you need to speak to them and ask what the criteria is for your area.

IUI can be funded through NHS if the Consultant thinks it has a chance of success but whether you'd be eligible as you already have a child would be down to your PCT.  In a lot of cases though having a child disqualifies you from NHS treatment, it certainly does in my area.

Axxx

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Hon,

Just to add to that - the costs vary massively depending on where you go - we paid £650 each go - unmedicated - it would be worth finding this out before you make a decision one way or another.

Take care

Kate

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi

Like MandyB has said, I think it depends on the PCT and your diagnosis, as to whether you can get funding for IUI.  When my DH and I had tests, we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility.  Our consultant at St Mary's Paddington referred us immediately to Hammersmith Hospital for IVF, due to my age.  He said he would also refer us on to St Mary's own NHS funded IUI programme, which funded 3 rounds (with up to 6 should any cycles have to be abandoned) while we waited for our cycle at Hammersmith.

It would be worth checking with your GP, before getting referred to a hospital, to see which of the hospitals near you do IUI, if that is the treatment you would want to start off with.

Siamese x

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Very much agree with what everyone else has said. In our PCT there is(was) no funding for IVF on the NHS but IUI was funded for 3 goes although I chose to go private because of the waiting list.

Our tx cost about 1k & 1.5k for each cycle & varied because of the cost of the drugs

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.  I'm to have one more round of clomid then it's back for lap and dye again.  I will push for more clomid after it if all looks ok, since I will have only had 4 cycles of clomid, plus it may give me an extra boost, my endo is only mild and they just cauterised it last time and I caught for DS straight after.

If my tubes are open, I'm ovulating and DH's repeat SA is OK, I would question whether IUI is for me.  I'm quite certain there no cervical factor, DS was conceived from atleast 4 day old sperm (nice!), I was charting and we only had sex once that month as I just wanted a break from all the rumpy pumpy baby making sex.  Given the cost, I'd sooner pay out for a 3 cycle IVF package and make damn sure egg and sperm get to meet!  What do you all think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.