Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, very sorry if this is a silly question - I'm just getting used to getting my head around immune issues (I've got raised NK cells) and although I've not had a formal instruction as to what my meds will be with ICSI (speaking to doc next week) the nurse hinted at IVIG.

From some of the posts on here, there seem to be a lot who want to avoid it. Apart from the cost, and maybe the hassle of the infusion, why else avoid it? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

HB

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hello there

I have had IVIg a couple of times now and am planning on having it again. I think the negative publicity around IVIg has done alot to damage it's reputation . The main issue that I am aware of is that there is a small risk of contracting a virus such as HIV, Hep B etc during an infusion.  However as I understand things,  providing you use plasma that is rigorously screened the risk is extremely small (similar to that of any other blood transfusion).  Also another risk factor is that it is not currently possible to screen plasma (or any kind of blood transfusion) for CJD. That said, as I am aware, women who have certain viruses in pregnancy such as rubella (I think?) are actually treated with IVIg to reduce the risk to the unborn child.

As with anything I think you have to weigh up the risks v the benefits. Critics argue against it because of the potential risks involved , the expense and that fact that it is supposedly "unproven", yet it seems that many women with immune issues go on to have successful pregnancies with IVIg without any serious side effects.

Best wishes

Bx

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou!

That makes sense! Hopefully I'll only need steroids, but I'd have the IVIG if needed.

HB x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts