Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 43 after 3 mc last year we are embarking on de route, looking abroad and uk. Any info on uk clinics with short wait lists and good success rates would be appreciated. I think uk clinics do not seem to have same success rates as abroad or perhaps its my interpretation of things
Any advice appreciated
Burnley xx

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I think most people are 'forced' abroad by the long waiting lists as well as the cost- I am heading to IVI in Barcelona or also looking into Shady Grove in Washington- both have short waits and linked with my clinic here.  Eastern Europe are  also much cheaper than here.
L x

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which clinic here do they have links with, I am looking at IVI valencia but they wont tell me wait for blue eye donor?
thanks
Bx

·
Registered
122 Posts
We went abroad for the following 3 reasons;
-it was cheaper [but that was 2 years ago, and since then Euros cost more, so saving now probably not so great]
-success rates were higher.
-our English clinic made very serious clinical errors that we could not forgive.

[Also we resented paying the **** fee every time we had an IVF cycle, and we disagreed with some of the politics involved with ****, eg the ARGC fiasco]

Wishing you success, where ever you decide to have your treatment.
The Mountainlion family.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks girls - am on waiting list at ISIS colchester -12 -18 months, thinking about Care Notts but 350 miles aways and London womens clinic 9-12month wait but heard some mixed reviews?
have appt at IVI valencia for July and thinking of Serum athens as well - I am a worrier and panicker so need somewhere with good personal service/communication
Thanks
burnley xx

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi Burnley
Latest information we have on UK clinics with short waiting lists for egg share are London Women's Clinic in Darlington, Leicester ACU and possibly CRM London.  All much closer than Valencia or Athens and all will mean that any child conceived will have the advantage of considerable donor information and possibility of potential contact with donor (if young person chooses) from 18. Neither of these are possible with donors from Spain or Greece.
Best of luck
Olivia

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Olivia - how can you advertise for donor here if you dont mind which clinic you go to ie willing to go to clinic where donor is attending who wants to egg share?
burnley x

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dear Burnley

I want to tell you how we found our wonderful Egg Donor, in the UK. Like you we were considering going abroad but after joining the Donor Conception Network we really wanted to find a UK donor, hoping that in the future our child would have the option to find out more about the donor. It was a tough decision for us, and a very personal one, as we knew we were in for a long wait. We joined the waiting list at Barts just after the change in the law and the clinic had no idea how long the wait would be, they just guessed 2 - 4 years.

The HFEA website lists all clinics who do egg share, and gives contact details etc.

When I started looking for an Egg Donor in the UK we started the official search with the NGDT posters (http://www.ngdt.co.uk/) last March, and placed ads in local papers and one in a glossy magazine. It was expensive, at the time, but we figured it was worth the investment. Then I had some of my own posters made and asked some people I knew, e.g. at their work place, if they would put them up for me. I had told close friends about our quest, and found so many people were willing to help.

Then at a BBQ in September 2005 I was full of wine and telling some women about our infertility problems, IVF etc and needing an egg donor. The women were fascinated and asked lots of questions. I have always been proud and wish to educate other women so I am always happy to answer questions and a few glasses of wine helps my confidence!!

2 days after the BBQ a bloke called my DH and said his wife had been struck by our story and would like to donate!!!!!!! It took about 2 seconds for me and DH to say YES YES YES, and so we started the next leg of our journey ......... To cut a long story short, that was in September 2005 and my darling boy is now 19 months old.

The decision to go with a "known" donor was also a tough one, so full of questions and doubts, but we found that counselling really helped, once James was born my fears and doubts just melted away. We are now living in Ireland so many issues I had about meeting the donor etc are now not relevant until our boy is old enough to make up his own mind about finding out more etc.

If I can be of any help please ask ..... and Good Luck to you whatever you decide to you.

Ginger xxx

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ginger
Thank you so much for your reply. James is sooooooooooo gorgeous!! - congratulations to you both.
Where do you live in Ireland -Im  Irish  - roscommon

I am in a tricky situation regarding work - they dont know about my mc as I worked thro 2 of them, only a few close friends know our predicament....perhaps I would have been better to be open about things??

I saw Amanda tozer at Barts and had 2 failed IUI there, I liked her but had issues with communication etc

thank you for the links and support
Burnley xx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi there,

Does anybody know if Italy have any good clinics for DE?

I am going to have another go at ICSI with my own eggs this month, but we are starting to think about DE as we don't have the money to keep going with such a low probability of success (about 25% chance of live birth on each cycle).

I have noticed that many people go abroad for treatment due to cost and waiting lists, and as I am half Italian I wondered if Italy might be an option.

All advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
go the international boards and click under italy or try treatment outside uk -  good luck with next cycle

Burnley xx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks Burnley

Good luck for you as well xx

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Latestarter,

Just to let you know that DE in Italy is against the law - the Vatican has alot of influence ;)

Ramonita, who used to post on the Czech Reprofit board was from Italy had to seek treatment outside of Italy for this reason:

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=134148.msg2052871#msg2052871

Anyway I wish you all the luck in the world for your next TX - I ^pray^ you get your BFP and have no need to use DE ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Dibley x

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Burnley

We're in Co Louth - DH is from Roscommon!!

I was fairly honest and open about our IVF treatment up to the point of needing donor eggs -  we felt it was a private thing and we felt it was important for us to "mind" our baby's story carefully. So, I didn't tell work colleagues, I never considered them friends anyway, but did tell close friends and family and as you can read above, with the right amount of sunshine and red wine chose my audience carefully and wisely (as it turned out!!).

My sisters offered to donate on my behalf, i.e. not directly to me but at my clinic to an anonymous recipient, that way I could move up the waiting list. As it turned out our donor came from the blue before we went that far but they had all had their blood tests and GP questionaires etc filled in and were ready to travel to London ...... something you may wish to consider if you have a friend or sister who might donate on your behalf. Many women I have since spoken to didn't know that egg donation was even a possibility, and since then one of my darling sisters has donated anonymously here in Ireland.

Good  Luck to you whatever and wherever you decide.

Ginger xxx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks Dibley

Good luck for you too on your next TX  ^reiki^
xx

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ginger
Its a very small world!! Your sister sounds amazing. Sadly I dont know any young friends I could ask, I have loads of lovely friend over 40!
Thanks for all your encouragement!
Burnley xx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts