Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really am getting fed up here now....am now co-sleeping with dd as I am sick of battling with her night after night to get her to sleep in her cot.  At first it was great..only waking once or twice and being shushed back to sleep and finally I felt like I was having some sleep!  Now, it's gone back to how it was when she was in her cot.

I put her to sleep at between 7 and 8 (have to lie on the bed and b/f) and she will sleep for half an hour or an hour at the most and then she wakes up.  This goes on and on - usually I have to go in about 5 times or more (b/f each time) to put her to sleep.  Eventually I just get fed up and go to bed so I don't have an evening whatsoever to be with dh.  So, we then get to sleep sometimes only at 9.30 and she will wake at 12.30 (b/f to sleep as she cries until she gets the boob) then again at 2.30/3am and then at 5ish and then wake up at 7am.  Every time she wakes up she has to be breastfed back to sleep.  I'm really worried as I want to stop b/f in the next couple of months but just don't see how this will happen!  During the day she only naps for 45 minutes (3 naps a day) but if I sleep with her it can be an hour and a half.  I feel like I am constantly attached to her.  I tried 2 naps a day - same difference.

Help, HOW is this ever going to get better????

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I haven't breast fed my two but I used to have the same problem with Gracie waking constantly and refusing to go to sleep.  The only thing that worked for me was a couple of days of Controlled Crying.  She now goes to sleep at 7 every night and wakes at 5.45-6ish.  That is still early but at least we are managing to have a good few hours in between (that is if Dylan sleeps through too!!)  She also goes to sleep in the morning at 10am and will sleep for 1.5-2 hours.  I used CC at this time of day too and it has really improved things.

I know that CC isn't for everyone but I was at my wits end with her - I was exhausted with her and I had no time with DH as she was awake until we went to bed and it was really getting me down.  It was hard the first couple of nights but after 3 nights there was a definite improvement.  You have to be strong and remember that you are being cruel to be kind!!!

HTH,

Lou x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi hun,

Firstly big  ^hugme^

Have you tried introducing a formula bottle before bed? If she is waking so frequently she may well still be hungry, and having formula before bed may help her to settle a bit longer

Sorry cant be much more help

Nikki xx

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi,

Sounds very much like the situation I was in with my DD when she got to about 8 months.  I was BF and was doing exactly the same as you to get her to sleep.  she was getting harder and harder to put to bed, and waking more and more frequently.  We ended up doing the same as Lou -  but actually got a night nanny in to hold our hands the first night!  ^idiot^ The first night it took less than half hour of controlled crying for her to go to sleep.  She woke once and did more CC then she slept through til 7.00 am - first time she had never had a feed at night.  The next night she cried just 2 mins, and the following night did not cry at all.  I would not have believed it could work if I had not seen it.

We have had to repeat several times since then (she is now 2 yrs 3 months!) but she has been a very good sleeper really since then and I did not BF her in the night since that time.

HTH

Peta

·
Registered
271 Posts
Also meant to say, that the night nanny said that they should not really need to feed at night by this point, and they you have to allow them to learn to fall asleep by themselves - it is something they need to learn like walking, talking etc.  There are more gentle transitions than CC - but they take longer I think.

Good luck

Peta

1 - 5 of 5 Posts