Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls,
I'm confused about the need to drink all this water! My clinic has not mentioned anything about what I should or should not be doing. EC Tuesday!
Would love someone to explain the need to drink lots of liquid. Many thanks. Jo ??? x

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was drinking loads of water but was just having to run to the toilet every 30 minutes!  My sister is a nurse and she explained that my body obviously was not needing all this extra hydration, I now drink 2 to 3 pints of milk a day and 2 pints water (I was drinking about 5 pints water before lol).

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Jo
The reason you should drink 2-3 litres of water a day when you're doing IVF is to avoid OHSS.  The water washes out excess hormones.  If you don't drink enough and pee regularly to remove the hormones, you may find that you overstimulate, which causes excess fluid to be created by your body. This can be at best very unpleasant and quite painful (I've had mild OHSS, not nice I can tell you) and at worse it is life threatening as the fluid in your body flows to your lungs and other vital organs, making it difficult to breathe. 

You should also eat plenty of protein which also helps prevent OHSS, so making one of your drinks a milk drink is also good.

I was quite cross with my clinic who didn't warn me about this consequently I got OHSS just after my ET in my first cycle and was not aware that the extreme bloating I had wasn't a normal symptom of the treatment.  I ended up in casualty in great pain. 

Drinking 2 litres (gradually, though, not all at once!) shouldn't do you any harm - but don't drink any more unless you're advised to as you can technically do yourself damage drinking too much!  But so long as you do pee regularly as well it will avoid OHSS and plenty of fluids are also good for a developing embryo.  I don't know any clinics that would tell you not to do it, they just don't think to mention that you should!

Claire x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.