Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I wondered if someone could give us some pointers as to why Zak won't sleep after his feeds during the day? He takes just over 4oz bottles (he wouldn't latch to me so I am expressing and he having that in Dr Brown's bottles) sometimes he goes 4 hours, sometimes 2 hours but if he only goes 2 he never sleeps inbetween. He has colic too, which we are giving him Infacol. He doesn't scream like he was last week but never settles to sleep. It's as though when you get him into a sleepy position he wakes himself up crying or chucking his dummy out of his mouth to make him cry, it's weird.

We are absolutely knackered as we have to take it in turns to have him, although he not a massive baby when you are cradling him for a long time he seems so heavy. Is it just that we have a clingy baby or do you think there is another answer?

We have tried leaving him to cry in his moses basket too but he gets even worse and it is so hard to leave him in such a state.

Please help, we are unsure of what to do next?

Thanks

Shezza

xxxxxxxxxxxx 

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Shezza,

Sorry but i haven't really got any answers about why Zac won't sleep. I suppose you've tried taking him for a walk in his pram (i know it's a bit cold though) or going for a drive in the car? What i can definitely tell you is that it doesn't last forever! :) Every day is one day closer to having him settled and in a routine. One day, it just suddenly clicks into place and you feel a whole lot better.

I hope someone else can give you better answers but in the meantime, just enjoy cuddling your precious boy. They grow up too fast!

Take care

Gill x

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Shezza

Don't worry I know it seems hard right now but Zak will start to settle better soon.

I remember asking my HV for help in nearly in tears one day because Toby (who was about 3 weeks at the time) would not sleep anywhere but on my chest for several days, and I was going a bit demented.

But it just seemed to be a a little phase and soon he was settling better.  He liked to sleep in his car seat during the day and rarely settled in his carry cot / crib.

I think it was because he felt insecure and I wondered afterwards if I should have tried swaddling.  have you tried it?

I think he aslo had a bit of reflux and was maybe uncomfy lying down.

Then I worried for weeks about him sleeping only in his car seat but that phase passed too!!!

So, do what you feel is working for now.

He will settle down soon!  He may not need to sleep after every feed, either.

You are doing brilliantly with teh expressing.  Hope you can keep it going for as long as poss!!

love Vicky xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Shezza

Not sure I have the miracle answer for you, but just wanted to send some understanding your way.  Jack was very similar and rarely slept immediately after a feed - even at night - so I completely empathise with the utter exhaustion you feel right now.  I always expected a baby to sleep with a full tummy too, but it definitely wasn't the case with Jack (was luckier with Ben  :) ).  

What I can say though is that it's still such early days and I wouldn't expect too much before the first 6 or 7 weeks anyway with regards to routine and sleeping patterns.  I remember that as soon as I thought Jack was doing something for a few days, and I knew when I could get some sleep, etc. it would change at breakneck speed and I'd be a crumbled wreck and dizzy with tiredness.  

Swaddling is definitely worth a try and so is using white noise - ie, tumble drier, washing machine, or even the static off a radio that's not on a channel (always worked on my boys that one  :) ).  I also used to find that the boys didn't like to lay flat all the time, so I did let them have the odd daytime sleep here and there in their car seats - in fact this was when they slept the best.  I know it's a big no, no these days, but it did mean we'd get rest in the day and they don't have banana shaped backs  ;D 

I know it's not easy having a wakeful baby, but do just try and go with the flow for now, sleep and rest when you can, eat well and just enjoy these precious early days with your little baby - it does go so very fast, and I promise it does get easier.

Much love.

Jayne x

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your replies!!

We have tried swaddling, don't always work though cos he a bit of a wriggler and sometimes gets in more of a tizzy if he wrapped up. Does work sometimes though!!

The infacol does seem to work though but will be able to try infant gaviscon if the wind/sickiness dont get better! He does have slight reflux too, which is why he likes being upright. Not always poss when you got stuff to do though eh?

Not sure how long the expressing will last now as I have been a bit down and that is making me worse but we have at least a weeks worth in the freezer and I know I can't stop straight away so have started expressing less and less now. Will be another few days before it stops completely I think, I know I have given him the best start in life by doing this for as long as possible!

I will keep you all posted, thanks again!!

Love

A tired but very lucky Shezza

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hi Shezza

My NCT friends swear by black cohosh leaf dropped into the milk for colic, which seems to calm their babies...apparently you can get it from Sainsbury's. Their HV recommended it.

love & hugs

Camilla

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi

Have you tried baby massage?

Can help with so many things, i found it easier to do during the day when my son was tiny, because after his bath in the evening he was too tired to apprectiate it. So i just picked a time during the day when he wasn't hungry, hadn't just eaten and wasn't tired, didn't have to be the same time of day. He loved it and was always asleep by the end! I really enjoyed it too! It was a calm, special me and him time and i never let anything interupt it, he still has massages about 3 x a week and his chilled out expression still makes me smile!

·
Registered
63 Posts
It does get better my bradon was abit fssy about going to sleep at any time i swear it was like he was scared that he might miss something but his settled right down now and sleeps through all nite so the is lite at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Hi Shezza

All I can say is that I"m thinking of you and hope it sorts itself out. You must be beside yourself and I sympathize, I guess each day is nearer to the time when you will breathe a big sigh of relief and get some sleep as your baby settles.

Love,

Suzy

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Shezza

I know this problems oh so well hen!

Siobhan suffered really bad colic, which she would not sleep day and night to the point we were both taking shifts and finding things a bit stressful due to lack of sleep ourselfs. I would even forget to feed myself.

We have bought a book called 'The New Contented Little Baby Book' by Gina Ford, this has been a godsend to us, we have finally got her feeding, sleeping and the colic under control YIPPEE ;D

I was getting to a point that when she cryed I would feed on demand, she never uses her dummy, only odd occasion. But she feeds well and sleeps right after and sleeps all night, she still has colic, but it does not last all night like it used to.

Just IM me if you need anymore advice hen!

Love SUZ
XXXX

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all your replies  :-*

Zak is a little more settled now (phew, she says) he still has bad days but has some really good days too. It all helped last week when the little sweetheart gave me his first smile, oh my god my heart melted I swear!!!!

We have gone on to colief now so whether its that we don't know. Another thing too is that he hasn't had my milk for about 2 weeks now so maybe it's that, I stopped expressing as I was getting really down and felt weak all the time, I wasn't looking after myself properly, naughty I know but I was so engulfed in helping Zak that I forgot to feed myself.

He is still waking in the night but it's not until about 4 ish, he has a bath and a warm bottle before bed (usually between 8 and half past) then goes straight off (well most nights anyway  ::) )

Suz ~ I have got that book hun, bought it before Zak even arrived. To be honest I find it all a little too military for me (think me & Nay are a little too laid back!!  :p ) but have taken some pointers from it, which have been useful. We have a bit of a routine going and it is starting to work quite well so far, fingers crossed anyway!

Right I am off, just gonna make some bottles up and going to join my baby in the land of nod!!!

Many thanks again ^hugme^

Love

Shezza ^monkey^

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts