Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My  son was born december last year(he's 9 months now). He was conceived through IVF and right now I am keen in giving him a brother/sister   ;D. I am still nursing my son and planning to have another IVF in january/february next year. Is breastfeeding while IVF will reduce chances of having another BFP? Oh... I have regular cycle since March

abey

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Abey

Im not 100% sure about this but they may hold off with your IVF tx whilst you are still breast feeding as some drugs may pass into the breast milk.

Please check with your clinic.

You can breast feeding whilst trying to get pg but Im not sure about the IVF.

Sorry I cant be off any more help

jx

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi Abey

I was in a similar situation to yourself.  My understanding is that you cannot breastfeed and take the IVF drugs as they will pass through your breastmilk to your baby and could be harmful.  All these drugs are contra-indicated during breastfeeding.  Also, when you are b/f your hormone levels are not 'normal', eg prolactin will be raised and this in itself could affect the way you respond to the drugs.

My clinic's policy is to have 2 menstrual cycles after stopping b/f.  I think your best bet would be to ask your clinic what their timeframe is.  DS self-weaned at about 11 months and had stopped b/f around his first birthday (Nov).  I then started my cycle at the end of Jan.

Hope that helps and lots of luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.