Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies,
Have posted on the midwife thread but thought I would post here aswell.  I'm 36 weeks pregnant and still have 2 weeks at work left.  I am a primary school teacher (teaching 5 + 6 year olds) and really struggling!  My boss just keeps increasing my workload so I am basically working for at least 10 hours a day.  My feet and ankles are so swollen by the end of the day and I am worried about the effect all of this pressure is having on my baby.  What can I do?  Are my employers supposed to take the fact I'm pregnant into consideration and try to help with the workload or is this it for the next 2 weeks?  Emilycaitlin suggested being signed off sick till I am due to start my maternity leave but I thought that past 36 weeks they would make you take maternity leave?  I'm so confused and tearful right now that somebody could care so little.
Any advice welcome,
JB. xxx

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear your boss is being so unreasonable. I was teaching when I was pregnant and my workload was decreased as I  approached my maternity leave.

You and baby need to come first you have a lot ahead of you so you need your strength and a good state of mind. I think they only sign you off on maternity if you take sick that is pregnancy related. If I was you I would anticipate a 'bad cold' arriving soon which will eat considerably into your 2 remaining weeks.

Good luck.
Victorioussunrise

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hello Jellybaby

What a horrible way to be treated by your boss  ^hugme^

I second what victorious sunrise says.  I just found this quote on the mothers bliss website - Your employer can only 'trigger' your maternity leave if you are off sick for a pregnancy-related reason in the four weeks before your baby is due.

It sounds like your work situation is making you very stressed and I'm sure your gp would sign you off for stress if you asked - or like vs says you could come down with a 'cold' or a 'tummy bug'.

Some1

xx

·
Registered
576 Posts
i went sick the last week before i went off on mat leave - sciatica - but really i had just had enough - I had nothing left to give in the workplace I just wanted to be at home, rest and think about my bump, sounds like they are being ridiculously unfair to you - go sick you will be sooooo relieved !
best wishes xx

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
get signed off lovey.you dont have to take  ^swear^ from work.go get signed off today.as for mat leave because youre close id just get signed off till then.if you wernt so far gone you could have given them notice to leave earlier.you can take mat leave from 29wks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ladies,
Thankyou so much for your replies.  Been to see midwife this morning and feeling so much calmer / less stressed.  I'm at home now and she has said I can go to see GP at any time to be signed off.  Feeling so much happier I could cry :)!  Anyway, baby is now nearly fully engaged so hopefully not too much longer - can't wait to meet my little one now :).
Thanks again for all your helpful replies and good luck for your own pg, tx etc,
A much chirpier JB. xxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts