Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I'm quite worried about the standard of care that my childminder is providing, and just wanted to see what others thought...

My DD has been going to her childminder for 18 months and has generally been very happy there. When she first attended (part time) there were normally one or two other children there with her. The childminder has her own children who are at school during the day. I liked the fact that my daughter was mixing with other children and my daughter seemed very happy to be there.

Over the past 6 months I've noticed that the number of children my childminder is looking after has crept up and up, sometimes to 4 aged 5 or under (DD included). My daughter isn't old enough to tell me how happy she is there etc, but she does seem to be a lot less enthusiastic than she used to be.

My little boy (6 months) also began going to the childminder 6 weeks ago for settling in sessions before I go back to work.

Last week was half term and my childminder - including her own 7 and 10 year old, and my two children - had 8 children there!!!

This morning when I dropped DD and DS off there were 6 children - all aged under 5. I quizzed my childminder about it and she replied 'oh its fine, I can manage, they love the company' and then when I said that I thought she was only allowed 3 under 5's, she replied 'Its ok, I've increased my registered numbers with Ofsted'. When she collects her children from school, the number will be brought up to 8!

Aside from the fact I don't see how she can be looking after my children properly with 4 other little ones, surely Ofsted wouldn't let anyone care for so many children at once? Should also mention she charges £5.50 per hour, per child.

Does anyone know what the absolute maximum number of children someone can look after is?

My instinct is telling me to find another childminder, but DD has been going there for 18 months and is well settled. I'm due back at work next week, and just don't know what to do for the best!

Any advice much appreciated,
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Hi,

i am a childminder and the ofsted rules are defiantely no more than 3 children under 5, i can have up to 6 under 8(but still no more than 3 of them can be under 5). Over 8's are not counted in the osfted numbers. If you are not happy with the care you are receiving for your children then i would suggest talking to her about it and if needs be move them both. You need to be comfortable with where you are leaving your children and who they are with.

Good luck

Julia
xxxx

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Julia

Thanks for the clarification.

I queried her numbers again last night, and again was told that 'its fine, I just increased them when I had my last inspection'. 5 or 6 under 5's is most definitely NOT fine with me though!  :-X

So upset because DD has been attending for so long, and we were so happy before. She must have just got greedy...who know's.

So silly though - I presume if Ofsted found out (I have no intention of informing them though) she would be in big strife?

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Perhaps you should mention it to ofsted? Not being horrible to your childminder, but if one of the children had an accident because she had too many to look after them all properly, you'd never forgive yourself - I know how hard it is looking after two young children so having 6 under 5's would be a handful! Also, if she's telling the truth then it won't do any harm will it.

Chux xx

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hi I'm a childminder too and you can get permission from Ofted to increase your numbers if they think you'll cope and not affect the care of the children you look after. so she may have permission for that increase.
Lou.

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hiya

If you know or can get her ofsted name/number then you can clarify what she is allowed on the ofsted website which has them on the childminder inspection reports

xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts