Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Kitty for her 6 week check today (slightly late as she is 7 weeks and 3 days) Doc has asked me to go back in a couple of weeks as she doesn't seem to be holding her head as she should be at this stage. She's not really smiling either ~ she does when she's windy. It does look like she's trying to and i wasn't worried at all but when the doc said 'is she smiling yet' she looked a bit surprised when i said not really. She did say not to worry, but then she would say that wouldn't she!

I just want her to be ok and i'm so upset that something might be wrong. I'm so worried now.....

Lizzy xx

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hey Lizzy,

I know it is hard not to worry (I would) but try not to as I am sure everything will be o.k.

If it really was that much of a problem they would have told you more surely?

Thinking of you and Kitty.

Laine x

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Lizzy

Sorry to hear about your upset. Please remember babies all develop at different stages. Most babies smile between 6-8 weeks (although some will smile earlier than that).

Re holding her head up. By 3 months of age most babies (born full term 40 weeks) should beable to hold their head up right. This is a guideline. You have to look at all of the development of the baby. Have a look at:

www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/6579.html

To reassure yourself, take Kitty to your next baby clinic where you can talk to your health visitor.

If I can be of any more help, just ask

Love

Jeanette xx

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeanette ~ i know i'm being a neurotic mummy today. My fault for putting on mascara this morning ~ guarantees i'll get all hormonal! I was just expecting everything to be fine and it was a bit of a shock.

Didn't help that my regular doc can't do baby checks so it was a different one.

Thanks for the reassurance ^Cuddle^

Laine ~ thanks, sweetie. Hope you're ok,

Take care, Lizzy xxx

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi Lizzie

I had the same 'smiling' issue with Katelyn. When I took her for her 6 wk check I was asked the same question. I replied that I had had only one smile!!!!

After that I didn't have any 'real' smiles until she was about 11 weeks old, I remember it well, because it was a couple of days after new year!

Up until then, all Katelyn was interested in was just looking around taking everything in.

I have smiles all the time now, so please don't worry - they will come!!! ;D

Love Jules x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Lizzy,

My sister's first didn't smile for yonks, till about 11 weeks. She's 2 now and can't stop.

Also, Kitty was more than 2 weeks early and that can often make a difference as to when the early developmental stuff happens. Because Ruby was nearly 9 weeks early we don't have her 8 week check until 8 weeks from her due date, and at that stage she'll have been born 16 weeks ago! Apparently if they do it earlier the smiles and head supporting etc won't be happening and all it'll do is to make us worry. And the doc would only have to repeat the check.

I've seen Kitty's pics in the gallery - she's gorgeous and absolutely perfect! Don't worry, she'll do everything in her own good time!

lots of love,
Nina

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks eveyone, as always your support means so much to me. I hadn't thought about her being early,

Take care all, lizzy xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Lizzy, I agree with the others. And as for the not holding the head thing - it's where they lift them from the arms isn't it to see if they lift their own heads a little at the same time - well, at 6 weeks Ben's was just flopped all the way back, and the doctor commented 'that's not good is it!' and then told me not to worry as she was sure he'd be okay! I was mortified that he was going to have problems and kept testing him at home. He was about 8.5 weeks when he finally showed some sign of bringing his head up when lifted that way. He's 14 weeks now and is only just supporting his own head for about 30 seconds before it flops. I remember Jack at this age and he was in his over the door bouncer by now, which is suitable from 3 months if baby can support their head, and he had brilliant head control.

I'm not worrying about Ben's head control at all now. He's getting there and in a few more weeks I'm sure will be able to support his head for long periods. They all do things at different rates, but will generally get to the same point eventually. Jack hardly smiled at all until 4 months, but Ben's been grinning away since 6.5 weeks, but he hasn't laughed yet :mad: ;D He will though!

Love

Jayne xxx

·
Registered
89 Posts
My twins are compleatly different...

Phillip holds his head up on his own and has done for about 3 or 4 weeks but Anne is the lazy one and still struggles ( but manages for a short while). They are 12 weeks now. Anne reaches out for things (not grasping yet) and Phillip still has clenched fists. I think they are all different. They are both only just smileing at me.

I thought for a long time that they were slow in developing but now I let them go at there own pace.

Carol

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Jac

Can I just ask you a few questions......

1. can you remember at what age you and chase walked (plus your 2 sons)

2. what was he doing 3 months ago regarding moving around

3. when he stands does he put his feet flat on the floor most of the time. Is his knees bent or staright when standing?

4. are the creases on the backs of his legs and bum equal

Boys do tend to do things a little later..but the above info will help me

Bear with me...sorry for the questions

luv

jeanette xxxxxx

·
Registered
458 Posts
Jac,

Jessica's creases don't match. She is okay up to her groin then she has one crease much higher than the other. This is evident from looking at her from the back. Jay's sister had hip problems when she was a baby so I asked the HV to look at it a few weeks ago. She stood her up and observed her. She was standing straight with her knees locked but kept wobbling and then she crashes down. The HV said that it was nothing to worry about though.

Hope Jaqson is okay.

Love Angexxxxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hiya Jac

Sorry for the delay. I have no excuses besides feeling sorry for myself !!!!

Its important to remember that some children dont crawl...some bum shuffle..others just start walking. Walking can be between 10 and 18 months.

What you have to consider when referring to 'developmental delays' is the overall development of that child. Please remember that jaqson is well advanced in all others areas so he doesnt have any delay of any kind. Its just that he has been busy concentrating on his other milestones! Also remember you were late walking.

He will do this when he is ready. But if you are concerned in anyway get your HV to review.

Will he use a baby walker? also, the push along walkers (plus the toy where you stand and drop the balls down) are good at encouraging standing.

Im sorry if I worried you..its just its difficult over the internet to try and establish whats happening.

I hope this has helped. I will send you some info on what we look when undertaking a development review. Bear with me.

love

jeanette xxxxx

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Jac - had no idea you were going through this terrible stress.  Hugs hun xxxxxxxxx

(ps - I walked at hmmmm 22 months!!!!!!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts