Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Worried about HSG

540 views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Hetty 27 
#1 ·
Hi

have my HSG on tues,

Really worried about it, can anyone let me know more about it and what really happens
My first internal really hurt, painful neext day  :eek:

Any advise

Cheers ladies

#2 ·
Hi Fire opal,
I had an HSG done a few years ago. They put a little bung into your cervix (really doesn't hurt, bit uncomfortable) that they pass a catheter through to allow them to put the dye in. I won't lie to you it's not a nice feeling when they flood your bits with the dye. But they take the xrays at the same time that the dye goes in so it's uncomfortable for about a minute at the most. They ask you to get up when you feel ready to and that's it! It only took about 10 minutes in total from going in to coming out. It can feel like period pain afterwards but as I understand it alot of women don't have any pain after. Try not to worry as it's really not that bad. Take a snaitary towel with you so you don't have to use their HUGE ones. It's only to catch a bit of the dye that may come out. Good luck with it and try to relax.  ^reiki^  ^reiki^
Sarah xx

#3 ·
Hi Fire Opal

Make sure you take a pain killer 30mins before  ;) i had mine last year and was petrified but it was just like having a smear as they open you up with a spectulum then put a fine cathertar through your cervix (doesnt hurt just like e/t with ivf) then they inject a dye into you this just feels like a mild a/f pain nothing painful at all  ;) you maybe even get to see whats going on the screen next to you  :eek: :eek: mine was over in 10 mins  :)
and yes take a sanitary towel as the dye leaks out after  :-\

Good luck
Emmaxxxx

#4 ·
Hi Fire Opal,

I had my HSG in April. I was really worried about it as I had heard it could be painful, but it was an absolute breeze! Honestly, I practically skipped out afterwards.

I took a couple of painkillers (codine) before I got to the hospital.
When I got there I changed into a hospital gown and the cons used a speculum and put a little clamp on my cervix (didn't hurt at all) He pushed in the dye through a little rubber tube and showed me what was happening on the screen. Then it was over!! No pain and no bleeding afterwards. DH was amazed as I'd prepared him for the worst! I was in and out in 20 mins. The staff were lovely and gave me a pad afterwards and some tissues to clean up. To be honest I hardly noticed any dye leakage afterwards.

Good luck for yours.  ^hugme^

H xxxx

#5 ·
Hi ya Fire Opal

I had mine done last year and honestly there's nothing to worry about.  ;) If I had to have it done again then I would take a painkiller 30 mins before but really it's no worse than what us girls have to suffer every month!

The tummy sensation comes and goes also, so it's not constant and they usually have a lovely, matronly nurse there to hold your hand if you want.

I was most worried about the catheter going in ... I didn't feel a thing!!  It was max about 10/15 mins - my DH didn't even think I'd had it done!  ???

No need to worry my lovely.  Good luck.

Lully x

#6 ·
Cheers gals

That really helps to know, thank god for this site.

Now bricking it about going to the dentist at 4, first time in 6 years  :-X

Cheers again ladies

#7 ·
Ooh the dentist eh ... I'd rather have an HSG any day!  ;D

Good luck x

#8 ·
Hello Fire Opal ^wave^

Just wanted to agree with everything that all the other lovely ladies have said.  I was so nervous about having mine, but I didn't take any pain relief, and it was no worse than a period pain.  The only thing I was upset about, was that DH was not allowed to come in when I had it done.

Hope it goes ok honey.
XXXX

#9 ·
Oo Dentist went ok but need a filling  :(

Got results of last blood test, it was 83.4 so looks like i did ovulate
Is that a good amount, more blood test nest month, oh joy

Had bad night with hubby, up late, saying some home truths, really hard as i'm going though all the tests and keeping healthy, eating the right things,

Even after the results that he has only 17% fast, 18% slow and rest up their own ****, he has done nothing to improve his health, I got vitc and zinc and he thinks thats enough, i battle with him to eat more veg, and do exercise, running, swimming, walking the dogs, but he has no va va voom to do any thing. I feel like his mother some times and its taking its toll on me, he said that would it really make any dif if i was more active  :mad: i was like yes as i'd feel like you had so pride in you body and that he had some get up and go,  I know i sound mean but i'm trying to run my own business and deal with the no baby thing and i'm running out of steam.

Soz guys for having a rant,

Can you tell i'm ON  ;D  ^idiot^  ^bigbad^

#10 ·
^hugme^

Men are a pain in the ^shake^ sometimes. They don't think about infertility as much as we do.
My DH looks horrified everytime I add to his vitamin mountain.

Hopefully your DH will realize how important it is to you and make some changes.

Until then  ^bigbad^ him!

XX

#11 ·
Hetty 27 said:
^hugme^

Men are a pain in the ^shake^ sometimes.

XX
He He ;D cheers hun

#12 ·
Honestly!  These men don't have to do much (just get healthy) and can't even seem to manage that!  ^bigbad^

My DH is trying to be supportive by drinking less and being healthy but went out and had a curry and (quite a) few drinks with work mates last night ... hmphh!

I just remind him that although we are indeed in this together, I would much rather be standing where he is  ;)

Lully x

#13 ·
^hugme^.

Rant away hun, you are amongst FF who know where you are coming from. 

My DH has done nothing to get any healthier either .... but then it's not him with the problem.  I think he just thinks I've got slowly and slowly more ^idiot^ .... wheatbags/more water/pineapple juice/crystals/FF addiction ( ;D).  I am super-paranoid about having put a little bit of weight on, and he's still not bothered about being really overweight.

^bishbash^ to our lazy men.
XXXX

#14 ·
Bugger

Should have had xrays today but had long period, can't bleed 48 hrs before and so had to cancel til next month.

Really bored with all this a the mo, all feels to grown up to me, and to top it all off i'm 35 next week,  ^tantrum^

#15 ·
Oh no!  How annoying!  You get yourself all psyched up and then nothing.  ::)

I agree it feels very grown-up and most of it is a waiting game ... hopefully it'll teach me to be more patient!  ;)

Made all the harder by another birthday, I know  ^hugme^

x

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.