Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls,
Just wondering if anyone else suffers from re-occuring yeast infections and whether this might be a contributing factor to IF, at least 'unexplained' IF which is what I have.  I've tried everything, the candida diets (but it comes back as soon as i eat anything normal!), health food shop treatments, acidophilis capsules etc etc
Jxx

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hope this isn't tmi but I suffer really badly from thrush when I'm on Clomid.  I think it's due to getting very run down as I can't sleep when I take Clomid - or for about 6months after stopping!! Get really fed up with it!
Jess

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hiya,

Just to say that I have only ever suffered with thrush when i have had hormone treatment.

I think that for me it is definitely kinked to all the extra hormones.

Love

Fx

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
hiya  :)

I get thrush just before my AF is due most months. Sometimes its bad enough that I need cream but othertimes it just passes as quick as it comes.  I have often wondered if there is a relationship.  I do find that unscented shower/bath products and cotton underwear etc do help and sometimes it doesn't come at all.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi J

Hormones can affect it as can being run down.
I think some women seem to suffer more than others.
Candida lives naturally in our bodies and our natural bacteria normally keep the population down but if we the bacteria get low eg if on antibiotics, candida can take over and cause thrush.
Like the adverts say, "top up the good bacteria" eg Activa yoghurts.

Also Candida likes a warm environment which is why we recommend  cotton pants etc.

At worst it can be caused by high sugar levels as in Diabetes or low iron if anaemic, it may be worth checking with your GP.

Hope this helps.

Susy.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi JED

I too suffer from over active yeastie beasties. I have been reassured by fertility and gynae consultants alike that it doesn't affect fertility.

I found some considerable relieve by taking a herb called pau d'arco mixed with marigold flowers - available from Neale's Yard Remedy shops. It is dried and you make a tea that you drink 3 times a day - I think it tastes Ok but everyone is different!

Probably TMI but I also had a few sessions of colonic hydrotherapy that helped flush out some of the more persistent beasties from my colon, often linked.

I also avoid marmite, bread, sugar and mushrooms! And as Susy says, topping up with good bacteria is always a good idea.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.
Caroline
x

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks girls,
I'm so upset this morning as I have another infection and tomorrow was supposed to be BMS but now there is no point.  I will take your advice and get some of those neals yard herbs and might even be brave and book myself in for a colonic! 
Thanks again
Jxxx

·
Registered
371 Posts
I used to suffer really badly with thrush, I discovered that one of the main culprits was the Pill, a progesterone based one. This is long before I discovered I had any fertility problems. Wish I'd never bothered with the Pill, it made me so ill, sex was totally out of the question anyway! I now get it when I am on the progesterone pessaries, infact I've got it now slightly whilst I'm on Gonal F.

I found that using lavender and tea tree essential oil in a bath helped and also taking Aloe Vera tablets. Unfortunately can't use these now as on tx.

I too have often wondered if it was linked to my unexplained infertility.

Anyway, just wanted to say you have my every sympathy...it's such a horrid thing to put up with on top of everything else.

Leni x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
hi jed
ooooh, nasty nasty thrush!  :mad:

I don't seem to get it so often any more but when I do I immediately eat an entire large pot of natural bio yoghurt and keep doing so every day till it goes.  Try and eat natural yoghurt if you can as the fruit ones have sugar in which may exacerbate the yeasts and.......... if you're feeling really brave you can use some of the natural yoghurt on a tampon and shove it up your whotsit to cool it off and put some good bacteria right where you need 'em!  ;D    Bit gross but it can work!  If you're feeling too squeamish about that just put some on a sanitary towel for the outer itchiness - but - sorry this is really gross - with both be careful to sit straight on the loo as it tends to dry out and form little lumps which drop off everywhere!!! sorry waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much information  :-[ ;D ;D  Probably beats Caroline's colonic stuff for grossness!

Best of luck with your fight against the beasties,

Claire xx

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Jed
I have suffered with really bad recurring yeast infections, my GP gave me a 7 day course of antibiotics to combat it once and for all, my DH was also given the one off tablet and he used the cream for 1 week, (Make sure your partner is treated!!!!!!!)
even though we certainly don't need to use them we have been told to use condoms for 1 month to help stop re-infection (not that you want sex when you have thrush anyway  ^hump^)

I have also been using the Vagisil feminine wash and talc powder every day
(there are various products in the shops)

Lastly I have been eating Yeo Vally Bio Live Yogurt every morning and have been having one of those Actimel drinks every day as apparently the bacteria can often be harboured in the bowels.

2 weeks after starting all this I am thrush FREEEEEEE and feeling great

My GP did also do some vaginal swabs, blood and urine tests to check that there was no underlying causes, mine all came back negative which I think has helped me no end as I am no longer worrying that there is something wrong with me ! make sure you speak to your GP and get checked out.

As I understand it thrush will not have any effect on your fertility, so chin up and throw everything you can at the nasty little yeasties once and for all.

I hope this helps, good luck
Dydie

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dydie,
I am also eating loads of natural yoghurt and taking a yakult every day and it seems to be helping.  They are stubborn little beasts aren't they!  Hopefully with a couple of weeks of this and also the herbs the other girls recommended I should knock it on the head.  Thanks for your advice.
Jxxxx

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hi,

Homeopathy is very good at treating yeast infections.  It may take a while but it gets to the root of the problem.  I've been to see a homeopath and it worked for me.

AJ of London
"Womb with a view"

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hooray! You girls have made my day...I can't believe I have found an entir e thread devoted to thrush!! ;)

Since my last BFN I have had a slightly dodgy discharge that would come for a couple if days and then go again.  Finally plucked up courage to go to the docs this week.  He has given me Caneston for thrush, but I was a bit worried becuase he has swabbed me for chlamydia......which I thought I read can cause IF problems. Also I thought chlamydia was only passed on sexually? Dh is my first and only sexual partner and I'm his so if so surely it cant be chlamydia?????? ??? ???

Also, he said that the neck of my womb is read and hanging down a little which he said could have been caused by the hormones in the IVF, and coud be causing the discharge. ha anyone else heard of this??

Sorry if TMI, but thanks so much . I've found the whole thing really embarrassing so its a relief to hear other girls out there.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Ermey
Testing for clamydia is just routine, I expect the swabs will be used to test for various bacteria's that cause thrush, I was tested the other week and mine was fine as I am positive yours will be too, the word clamydia has become a bit like the word cancer, it provokes fear in us, but seriously don't worry about it, your GP is just covering all angles, I was never convinced that I actually had thrush, as the discharge like yours kept coming and going, and it was clear rather than white (TMI Sorry) I had the canestan twice along with the cream but it kept coming back, so my GP gave me a 7 day course of antibiotics, YOU MUST ALSO TREAT YOUR DH!
if you have not already done this go and get another canestan treatment asap and get him to take one too, also try using the cream..both of you!
and lastly until you are sure that it is cleared up use condoms (if you feel up to sex of course)
Take care and I hope you clear up the beastie yeasties soon
Dydie

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi again Ermey
sorry but with regards to the neck of your womb, if your GP thinks it may have been caused by the hormones then get in touch with your fertility clinic and ask them, but it could just be that you have picked up and infection/bacteria like thrush which is actually the cause of this redness.
Dydie

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi Dydie

Sorry I have only just found your kind messages to me about my 'girls problems' and my swabs for thrush and Chlamydia.

My swabs came back clear, and I took the Canneston the doc gave me, but I still have a dodgy CM (sorry TMI), and I also have a dull ache in my pelvic area.  So planning another trip to the doc!  :(  I might also ring the clinic and ask their opinion about the neck of my womb thing.

Anyhow just saying thanks for you replies they were helpful.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Ermey
I am glad your swabs came back clear, go to your gp and get the antibiotics and make sure you treat your dh, do this and I promise whatever this infection is will be gone for good within a week, to be on the safe side I have continued using the Vagisil products when washing that area, also I don't know about you or anyone else and I am sorry if TMI but lately I have found that I am irritated "down there" by sperm  :eek:
It's quite comical in our house after sex because I rush off to the bathroom for a good wash  ;D god knows how it makes my dh feel
Dydie xx

·
Registered
688 Posts
hi Dydie, yes I'll do as you say.  Thanks for the encouragement, I need it! Its's getting me a bit down but I keep putting it off...I think its cos after the tx I'm so sick of having strangers look at my private parts!!  But I will go cos i'd like to feel like verything is back to normal down there before I do start tx again (whenever that may be?!?).

I'm also worried that instead of antibiotics the docwill refer me to gynae to investigate the fact that the neck of my womb extends a bit more than normal as well as looking red. I'm worried about the implications...eg. is it because of tx? will it affect future tx? And am worried about how long I'd have to wait for an appointment for gynae, cos I don't want it to delay tx even though we don't have any plans to go ahead yet.

At the end of the day, only a doctor can answer these questions so guess I'll just have to get on with it!

By the way, I am sensitive to the white sticky stuff too  ;) and always go rushing off for a wash, bet it makes DH feel so good about himself!
^roflmao^

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Ermey
Have you gone to the doc's yet?
Just wanted to say that the neck of your womb thing is likely to be because of an infection rather than the tx.
Good Luck
Dydie xx

PS Glad I am not the only one who rushes to the bathroom  ;D

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Hi Dydie and Ermey....

^roflmao^

Your not the only ones who have to rush off to the bathroom after sex, I do too but for a different reason........ I suffer something awful with cystitus and was told by my GP that I MUST go pee after sex.... great when your trying to have  ^BMS^ but I'd rather that than the pain of another dose of cystitus I can tell you!!!

Have you tried the Diflocan/boots derivative? We went to Africa last year on hols and had to take anti malaria pills which gave me really bad thrush and nothing got rid of it because of having to take the pills for 6 weeks!!! then i was recommended the diflocan by the pharmacist and boy did it work. like Dydie says you BOTH must be treated and avoid sex until it has completely cleared up..... very boring but has to be done!!

Hope all is ok now

Debs
xxx

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.