Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

'You Are What You Eat' diet/eating habit whilst ttc or pg?

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Broodygirl 
#1 ·
Hi ladies, just wondered if anyone is following the "You Are What You Eat" diet/style of eating as instructed by Dr Gillian McKeith? 

I've been reading her book and cookbook for quite a while now and have slowly started changing my diet/eating habits to her style and wondered if anyone else is, how they are finding it, etc, etc.  I am a vegetarian and have been for 15 or so years so will find it quite easy, and reading through I do think it would be a healthy and sensible diet during ttc.

Any thoughts anyone?

#2 ·
Hiya Nikki,

I'm not familiar with Gillian Keith's diet, but my sister, who is planning on TTC#2 shortly, is on it, and her Health Visitor told her it was a sensible diet, both normally, and whilst TTC. 
I'm another Veggie too - might take a look at it if it's not too bad!

Marie xx

#4 ·
I'm a veggie and use some of her recipes.  I think some of the soups and chickpea burgers etc especially are great and easy ways of incorporating more protein in a veggie diet, and including seeds (eg pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and hemp et) also seems to be good for providing EFAs.  I still take various nutritional supplements as well, however.  My only comment would be that she really doesn't go for dairy produce much and although I think you can overdo dairy (fat, hormones etc), cheese and yoghurt etc can help you with your protein intake when a veggie.  I use the book as a source of ideas rather than sticking to it totally.  Ellie.

#6 ·
I might just check this book out!

I'm always looking for more ways to up my protein, while I have a healthy diet I'm always on the lookout for more recipes!  :) 

I think I'd be adding Cheese as well  ;D Can't live without it!! 

Marie xx

#7 ·
#9 ·
I'm not sure, I'll check the book when I get home! (FF is so much more interesting than work!!)
Lizi.x

#10 ·
#11 ·
Looks interesting - you going to give it a try then Marielou? 

Lizi I take it you do the diet - what are your thought on it?  You know I'll grill you about it at the Notts meet.

I'm going to give the YAWYE a go as seen my dad loose weight and become a lot healthier on it so going to give it a try cause you don't know till you try, but will be very interested to hear about this one from you Lizi and from you Marielou if you give it a try.

#12 ·
One thing I forgot to say in my last post about YAWYE- I used to be quite impressed with Dr Gillian, and I do use her book for recipe ideas and think her basic approach is fine but I must admit that I was surprised when I found out recenlty that she was only 45 - I don't like to say it but I personally think she looks alot older than that (her face is quite drawn) and I wondered if the diet she recommends has anything to do with that!!! Of course, I am still only a very youthful 41 (!!!) so perhaps I will look that old in four years as well (with or without the Mackeith diet!).  Ellie.

#14 ·
Well, Nikki, that certainly puts a completely different slant on it.  I take my words back completely - in fact, I should eat them with my next Mackeith chickpea burger!  Sounds like her diet is probably making her look better than she would otherwise - isn't it amazing what you learn on this site...  Ellie.

#15 ·
Ellie I didn't say it to snap at you or anything hun - hey if you'd said her age and I didn't know she had this disease I maybe would have thought the same.  All I remember thinking was "oh my god, poor thing" - it was something she was talking about as she was hoping her daughter hadn't taken after her with it.  Something like degenerative bone disease rings bells with me -something like that anyway.

#16 ·
Interesting, isn't it?  Well, in a further bid to redeem myself, I would like to say that her split pea/sweet potato soup recipe in the book is really, really delicious, and her chick pea burger recipe is excellent too!  Ellie.

#18 ·
I have read Gillian McKeith's books and watching her TV programmes with great interest. (I love it when she tells ppl off for the state of their poo!
)

I've been following a similar type of diet since I did a 4 week detox diet about 3 or 4 years ago. I've found some of her recipes [McKeith's] a bit lacking in taste and I tend to look at them for ideas and then add some bits and pieces to them to liven them up.

But I do like her... she makes me laugh!

#20 ·
Nikki - Why stop there? Whack the garlic in as well and take care of both ends at once!

#21 ·
BroodyGirl - I love your "poo/toilet" picture !  so funny ;D

#23 ·
I love garlic too !  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

#24 ·
Jennifer - Glad you liked the smiley...

Garlic is GOOD! I can't get enough of it!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.