Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies

Firstly I just want to say thank you to you all as I have sought great comfort in your posts over the past couple of months.
I had my first ivf cycle this January with EC at the end of feb. I was on the long protocol (buresulin & menopur) I had lowest dose of both drugs but a few days before ec the menopur was upped by one vial as some of the follicles looked a bit small
ec went well- I managed to get 13 eggs. Dh’s sperm quality was classed as ‘excellent’ (we were initially unexplained IF)

However the next day we got the call…none of my eggs had fertilised. I have never been so heartbroken and it is still really raw and I cant seem to get over it. Apparently each of my eggs had a thick zona and an additional hard shell around the egg and a central vacuole- the clinic said they had never seen this before. The embryologist was fantastic, she was really comforting and ran some tests on the egg- she stuck a needle into each of them and drilled holes in the zona, the eggs lived for 2 days after the tests. The embryologist said she felt encouraged by this. However when it came to our follow up, our consultant suggested donor eggs and that completed shattered me. However he has said it may have been the drugs and has said he will put me on a different protocol- short protocol with cetrocide and gonal-F.

I want to try again but I am so scared that our second cycle will mean the end of trying with my eggs. I just don’t know how to deal with all of this but just to cry. i drank loads of water and milk and measured my protein intake during the cycle and I don’t know what I can do to make it better
xxx

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Hi Fudge

I'm so so sorry this has happened to you ^hugme^

You need to give yourself some time to heal and get over the shock and disappointment you must be feeling. Once you're feeling a little stronger you can then start to look into where you go from here. I don't know what everyone else thinks but I think it's a bit too early to be thinking about donor eggs. If the non fertilization was due to the fact that the sperm couldn't penetrate the egg because of the thick zona, would ICSI be an option? I would also look into Assisted Hatching. Also before I made a decision about moving onto donor eggs I would definitely get a second opinion from another clinic. I met a lady during my treatment cycle who was told she needed donor eggs by her previous clinic but went onto getting 7 good quality eggs when she cycled at the ARGC. Maybe doing the short protocol will do the trick next time.
Sorry I can't be of more help but hopefully someone will answer soon who can give you more information. Don't give up honey xx  ^hugme^

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi Fudge

i had this happen to me a few weeks ago (if you do a search you'll probably find it) and i had lots of replies from others it had happened to and some had gone on to get a bfp  :)

I had my review on monday and my cons said he wasn't worried about my eggs, they were all mature and looked good however just didn't fertilise  ^bigbad^ to get around this next time we will have icsi to ensure that the fertilise ^pray^

we are starting again in about 6 weeks and i am worried however feel more reassured that with icsi the chances of getting embies is higher  :) has your cons mentioned about icsi?

feel free to pm me if you want to

much love
Suze xx

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi there, so sorry to read your news.  ^hugme^

my first cycle I had 6 eggs and although one fertilized it didnt divide.  I was on Long Protocol with Gonal F and cetrotide.  My second was cancelled as I didnt manage to downreg> My third cycle I got 5 eggs on Menopur and Cetrotide short protocol, 2 embies, singleton pregnancy (but mmc in Nov 06  :'( ). This cycle I was on Gonal F and Orgalutran (diff clinic) and got another bfp which resulted in my dd - even though I only had 2 decent follies going in for EC.

Basically what I am trying to say is that there is hope after fertilization issues.  I had ICSI for all my tx that went to EC!

I was advised to give up this most recent tx during stimms and to go with donor eggs but stuck to my guns and am so glad I did :) 

I think it really is worth trying ICSI on the short protocol-it definitely had a good effect for me!

Although many people get bfps with their first cycle, often it can be a "finding out what is best for you" exercise so that they can find out your best drug regime etc so please hang in there!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fudge

I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Reading your message was like I had written it myself. I too had zero fertilisation on my first ivf/icsi attempt. I seemed to do well with the stimm drugs and got 10 supposedly good eggs on the day of egg collection. My dh was low 14 million count, 76% abnormal forms but they seemed to think this was alright.

That morning call from the embriologist, well I dont think I will ever forget it. Telling us that none had fertilised, that she had never seen it before and that she was in shock. It is so hard to take. I have only just stopped crying and thats a week and 1/2 later.

Its just trying to work out what to next.

You might find some of the replies I had back helpful. I posted two links on the icsi page - I got some good replies and found other people in the same situation.

I am going back to my consultant in 2 weeks and will let you know what advise we were given.

Bunnyx

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi fudge
My first ivf, i only had 3 eggs, all immature with the thick zona etc. Was advised to go ED as poor responder as well as poor eggs. Howrver i stuck to my guns, insisted they try again with my own eggs, and tried icsi.
This time round, on SP, produced 7 eggs, though 4 were immature, 1 didnt fertilise, BUT 2 DID.
Was advised to take them to blast (very worrying time as there were only 2) and I am now PUPO with both of them in situ.
So miricles can happen. Go with gut instinct, the proffessionals aren,t always right. Mine actually admitted he was wrong and said he,d learnt a lesson.

TracyM

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello ladies

Thank you for your kind words, i am sorry for the late reply- its gets difficult coming online due to work. I want to say how much you have consoled me and offered me hope.

At the moment I am trying to lose weight- hopefully i will be healthier for the next round! We will probably try again in September. Good luck to all you ladies- big  ^hugme^ to bunny tot and Suze- I hope your next cycle brings you the BFP we all hope for.  Wishing you all the luck Tracey for a positive outcome. Thank you EB and Slinky as well  ^hugme^

Fudge
xxxx

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hi Fudge,

So sorry...what an awful experience for your first ivf  ^eyes^.  Just wanted to let you know that I found my first ivf/icsi to be the very worst because I assumed it would work for me (we were unexplained then) ...the shock when it doesn't is horrendous!

Any BFN is devastating but I think that one hit me hardest.  It took me a good 3 months to feel ok again - I just felt so numb & lost interest in everything/everyone.

Give yourself lots of time & plan some non-ivf type treats! ;)

Are you at a really good clinic?  I don't know where you are?  Maybe you could speak to another clinic & see if they would do anything differently?

I am sure with assisted hatching/blasts or icsi you would stand a better chance - it's more money but eliminates that hurdle.

I think it's very early to be talking about donor eggs - particularly without trying other drugs/dosages.

Hang on in there & don't panic!

Take care,

Love Jess xxx

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Hiya hun

We also had 0 fert on our first cycle and it knocked us for six but at least we had some answers to our "unexplained" we found out that either my eggs or hubby's sperm have a receptor missing that allowed the sperm to break into the egg, we had 3 months to come to terms with it, we had a fab holiday and then at Xmas we went for round number 2, we had ICSI this time and to be honest I was so scared and just  ^pray^ that we would get some embies this time, we got 10 embies and initially we had twins  :) sadly I have lost one of them but the other baby is doing well  :) The second tx was hard because we were more aware of what could go wrong and we were told ICSI might not solve the problem and have to think of donor but we decided to cross that bridge when and if we had to come to it.

Good luck with the weight loss and lots of  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ and  ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ for your next tx in Sept.

Take care xxx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you ladies for all your responses. Time is a great healer and i have 3 months to eat healthy and prepare for our cycle in September, I hope this first round was so disastarous because of the protocol!

Hugs to all
X

1 - 10 of 10 Posts