Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was a normal Tuesday (4th Oct) apart from the fact I had an appointment to go for CTG monitoring (baby's heart) to make sure that all was well cos he was a lazy baby in the womb.  Also had an appt with the consultant afterwards to talk about shoulder dystocia as I was worried about the possibility of that happening with my baby being estimated at over 10lb.

Well during the monitoring he was not showing any signs of movement - although that didn't worry me as his heart was a steady 160bpm so I was reassured that everything was ok.  I informed the midwife that I had an appt with the consultant 40mins after the start of my appt for the monitoring.  Anyway, unbeknown to me there was concern over the baby's heart rate because it should have showed a variation of about 5-10 beats but it was only varying by about 2bpm.  I reminded them again that I had the consultant and was told not to worry as the consultant can pop in there to see me.  She came in about 5 minutes later and said there was some concern over the heart rate, and because it wasn't varying she wanted the baby out (eeekkk!!!!) she told me it was possible the cord was round the baby's neck because of the heart rate.  I was not panicking at this stage though because I had seen the heartbeat - and if the heart was beating surely that meant everything was ok.  COnsultant then went on to say that she would break my waters and depending on the colour that would determine whether I had natural delivery or emergency c section.  When I was given an internal examination the consultant touched the baby's head (I was still being monitored at this stage) and the baby showed no sign of movement still.  The consultant informed me that the baby should have moved arms and legs upon being touched and that there was now no alternative but to prepare me for surgery.  Within the hour I was in surgery and not long after my darling little baby boy was born.  He didn't cry and it seemed like forever and no one was telling me what was going on.  My mum could see that he was on the resus unit, I asked if he was moving and she said no...then she said he just moved his leg...then he moved his arm...then he found his voice and let out the most amazing cry - with the sound of his cry I was overcome with emotion, because just for a minute there I thought something terrible had happened (I'm crying as I type this now, I find it hard to think of those first few minutes without hearing him cry and no one telling me what was going on, I was asking over and over why isn't he crying and no one said anything.)  As it turned out he had opened his bowels and was covered in meconium so they had to clear his airways.  When I saw him though he was the most beautiful little boy and I couldn't believe he was all mine.  I gave him a cuddle for a minute then my mum got to cuddle him for about 30mins while they stitched me up etc.... I still don't know if the cord was around his neck...no one I asked seems to know.  I will find out at my postnatal - but I wouldn't change a thing about his delivery, I would rather have had a natural birth, but my little boy Jack's health was the most important thing to me, and I think the correct decision was made by the consultant.
Unfortunately for me it hasn't been quite so plain sailing as I had a blood clot behind my stitches and 5days after having Jack, I woke in the early hours with blood covering my nightie...my stitches had opened up.  Luckily the whole was only about 2inches and not the full length, but at the moment it is still there and I am just having to dress it myself each day...it has thankfully started to heal although my GP told me on Friday that I might have to be opened up, cleaned out and restitched again (I hope not) I still can't do everything for Jack as it is because of this and would love to settle down to normality and get home from my mum's house.

Anyone reading this that is yet to deliver...I've been told its very rare for a clot to build up behind a c section scar...so if you are unfortunate enough to have to have a c section, hopefully your recovery will be a lot quicker.  Other than that problem I haven't found it too bad and think I have been extremely lucky in the way that everything has worked out and I have got my gorgeous son, who is just a dream.

Take care everyone
Zoe and Jack xxx

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Zoe - So glad everything turned out ok for you!!  Congrats on the birth of your baby boy!!!!!

xxxx

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi Zoe

Congratulations on the birth of Jack.  How scary it must have been for you ... tears welled up in my eyes when I read your birth story. 

I had a c-section as well and would have preferred a natural birth but now I just look at my little girl (I spend hours just looking at her!) and think how lucky my DH and I are ... it doesn't matter how she came into the world.

Love Karen and Emily x

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Zoe

Congrats on the birth of Jack. Glad he arrrived safely after all that worry!

Sorry to hear that you have had problems with your scar. I too have had a c-section and would have preferred a natural birth, but in the end all you want is a healthy baby and that is so much more important than getting to push him/her out!!

Take it easy and hope that you recover quickly

Kate xx

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
COngratulations Zoe on the birth of baby Jack, such a scary time for you when he was first born, I had tears welling and am so pleased things have worked out well for you.

Hope your wound heals soon

Niki x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.