Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am new to this board and need some advice.
I have severe endo.I have had one tube removed and there are leisions on my uterus and bowel and everything is stuck down. I get regular ovarian cysts,which I get drained from time to time.
I am currently waiting to start an ivf cycle but high FSH levels are stopping this at the moment. So far my only tmt has been surgery and the pill.I have been lucky and had very little pain other than period pain with the pill.
I spoke to my consultant today and he is keen to start me on zoladex as soon as I stop with the ivf and thinks it should be sooner than later. He says that surgery isn't really an option for me any more as there is a risk to the bowel.
I have been rather ignoring my endo for the past 5 years since it was diagnosed as I found if I was on the pill I was OK.
I am not sure if I like the sound of zoladex.
Has anyone got any experience of using it? If so how long were you on it for ,what symptoms did you get and how successful was it?
Has anyone had anyother medical treatments?
Sorry my first post is so long but decided today I really must face up to this .
Thanks for reading
Pixie

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya Pixie

Welcome to fertility friends and also welcome to the endo section

Zoladex i can tell u about i have had it 4 or 5 times now over the last 4 years

Treatment length varies but normally is no longer than 6 months.

The injections will make u menopausal and close ur ovarys down

This will only be temporary however until u stop receiving the injections

Some gynaes prescribe hrt with it to help with side effects but some dont, this is commonly called livial.

If theres any questions u would like to ask feel free to ask and i will answer if i can!!

best wishes
lots of luck
Emilyxx

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Pixie

I've had Zoladex for 7 months and was absolutely fine on it.  I took Livial, like Emily said, to stop the side effects of a pseudo menopause.  I think the thought of going through a 'menopause' was the worse thing.

The effectiveness of Zoladex is debateable as many believe that the endo just comes back.  If you are going for ivf then I'd speak to your fertility consultant about it as many dont believe it has any benefits prior to tx and that tx should not be delayed just to have it.  This is a matter of opinion.

That said, I would use again becasue at least you know your endo is not getting any worse whilst on it, that's just my opinion.

Good luck.

Becca
x

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi

I have also been presribed Zolodex a few times, usually when i have had surgery to drain cysts remove adhesions etc and then waiting to have IF treatment. By putting me on Zolodex it stopped the build up of the endo until after the treatment. I was also prescibed it last year as I was in so much pain and couldn't have surgery for a while. It really helped stop the pain and cons said that everything looked a lot better when he operated.

There is not that many side effects especially if you take Livial. You get a few night sweats and stuff, but nothing you can't live with.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Nicolaxx

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi Pixie
I am currently on Zoladex to shrink my fibroid, I have found it to be fine and haven't so far had any side effects.  I am on my 3rd injection of 3.  I did think I was starting the hot flushes but it didn't go any further, maybe it was just hot that day!!  ;D I was prescribed HRT but decided not to use it unless I really did get any major side effects.

HTH good luck with any future treatments, this board will help you out tons!
Baxy xx

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Sorry girls for asking... what is livial???

i am a bit  ^idiot^ xixixi

Stella

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Stella

You have probably got the answer to your question by now, but Livial is low dose HRT and wonderful to take when on Zoladex.  It really stoped all the those horid hot flushes  :-[

Love

Becca
x

·
Registered
469 Posts
hi pixie

i had zoldex several times & apart from hot flushes i had no side affects. it did however shrink my cycst & i was pain free during this time. however it did grow back in time & i have been told the only other operation i can have is a hysterectomy. i am determind to have my family first though ( through ivf).

good luck with your treatment, i was told that using zoladex could put endo in remission but mines was to far advanced. hope you haver better luck.

keep smiling  :) :) :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had continual bleedng for four years until finally put on six months of zoladex. Surgeons were reluctant to do a hysterectomy at first as I have a urostomy.
Zoladex stopped the bleeding after four months, but side-effects were crippling. Mainly migraine, pain, flu-like symptoms, depression, not normal for me!
Now I'm booked for a hysterectomy anyway. Trouble is, although I've been put on premarin, an oestrogen, though this worked well at first, now I feel zoladex-lousy again. I've been off it for nearly two months. Is this because I need more premarin, or is the zoladex just taking a very long time to wear off, or both? Has anyone had similar experiences, and how long did it take them to return to normal? Bleeding has not started yet. I feel zoladex should carry a warning to those who have existing conditions like back pain: it tends to exacerbate everything. Hate to be a grump, but any good news for me, anyone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there,
I am pretty new also!
I am on my second injection of 3 and have struggled with these!
I have had headaches, hot flushes & have gained weight!
I was prescribed these to reduce my endo symptoms and reduce 2 cysts I have on my ovaries. :-[
I was diagnosed with PCOS many moons ago & we were sure I also had endo, which was confirmed last year during an operation to remove a 1 stone cyst which was (so I was told) full of endo! :mad:
I am doing a lot better now and am concentrating on my weight to enable me to start the IVF process, as I too have no other option after 5 & half years ttc.
Perservere with the injections as it is actually good not to have the periods & pain which accompany them.
Thanks
Tara ;D :-*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.